How long to take off of work?

Time off for LIS & skin tag removal

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

How long to take off of work?

Postby zippitydoodah » 30 Dec 2014, 23:24

Hi all,

It seems to be the case that doctors grossly underestimate the recovery period following LIS and skin tag removal. (My doc suggested that some folks even go back to work the next day after LIS!)

For those of you who have undergone these procedures, how long would you say it took you to be able to return to work? I have a pretty low-impact job, but I do spend a lot of time sitting (in office chairs but also on planes/in airports as I must travel a lot).

I'm concerned because I have LIS & skin tag removal scheduled for the last week in January but I am supposed to travel for work in mid-February. I understand that it takes several months to heal totally (and skin tag excisions can be painful for quite awhile), but do you think I will be able to function fairly normally in 2-3 weeks?

Thanks for your advice and for sharing your experiences!

:grouphugs:
-Fissure since August 2014 after diarrhea and antibiotics
-Using diltiazem, baths, ibuprofen, magnesium, high fiber diet/supplements, probiotics, coconut oil, cleaning with water & wipes only
-LIS & skin tag removal scheduled for late January 2015
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: How long to take off of work?

Postby Jbl22424 » 31 Dec 2014, 00:47

I just had LIS (no tag removal) and could sit comfortably for my desk job 6 days after surgery. I think I was able to drive and sit normally after four days if I recall. No way could I sit or drive after a Bm for the first 1-3 days. I think I felt back to normal in 10 days? Hope that helps!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby zippitydoodah » 01 Jan 2015, 13:52

Thanks, Jbl! I hope it is so quick for me.

Anyone have experience with the tag removal? I'm guessing that takes longer...
-Using diltiazem, baths, ibuprofen, magnesium, high fiber diet/supplements, probiotics, coconut oil, cleaning with water & wipes only
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Postby annbow » 01 Jan 2015, 22:41

I had tag removal. For me, 2 weeks is about the time that I would feel ready to go back to work (i.e. regular desk job). I'm not so sure about traveling though as it may be harder to access the toilet when traveling...
annbow
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby zippitydoodah » 02 Jan 2015, 11:24

Thanks, annbow! When you mention concern regarding the toilet, is that because you would be concerned about reaching the bathroom in time? (Like because the sphincter is not as tight?) Or because of the hassle of dealing with it in a public restroom?

I'm fairly regular so as long as I don't have to leave super early in the morning, I don't usually have to worry about having a BM outside of the house... but maybe I shouldn't take that for granted post-LIS.
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Postby annbow » 03 Jan 2015, 02:43

I had impaired continence for just a few days, so by two weeks you should not have problems reaching the bathroom in time :)

Since you usually have BMs in the mornings, then it's not so much a worry then. The surgery would probably not change your bowel patterns
annbow
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby zippitydoodah » 03 Jan 2015, 21:53

Awesome, thanks for the advice.
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Postby Turk the cat » 04 Jan 2015, 19:32

Hi Zippity, Ann (and you too JBL <grin>)

Turk the cat's mom here. I just posted in that new/old Sentinel Tag posting some info you gals might find interesting. UGH, the ST has been kind of nasty, but every few weeks things improve leaps and bounds.

Zippity, I think the whole incontinence part of the situation turns out to be one of the things people are most afraid of pre-surgery, yet find to pretty much be a non-issue post-surgeryespecially with the right surgeon.

I breaks my heart reading about how quickly some people are forced to go back to work. It sounds to me Zip, that you have a job you enjoy (you jet-setter-you) and will do well being back in the work force. Maybe have a heart to heart with your boss about potential "what if?" situations just in case?
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Postby zippitydoodah » 05 Jan 2015, 15:36

:thecat: Thanks Turk the Cat's mom! I'll look up your Sentinel Tag posting. I'm glad to hear that things are consistently improving for you.

Now that I'm a bit more educated than when I first arrived here, I agree - the incontinence thing is not such a huge worry... now I'm more concerned about the pain specifically concerned with the ST removal.

And luckily I've opened up to my supervisor about my health situation... she was shocked to hear it because although everyone knew I was sick back in August (had a GI bug for over a week and got the fissure from constant diarrhea), she had no idea that I was still struggling. (We don't see each other more than once a week due to different schedules.) And I'm very fortunate to have a mostly flexible schedule and can work from home much of the time - the only thing I cannot change are the trips. The tricky thing is that there is no one that can take over my workshops/presentations and negotiations (which is what I'm traveling for). If I don't go, that means I don't get the job, and that means I won't be bringing any money in and that could impact my future HUGELY. So it's not like anyone would force me to go, but I may not have a job in a few months if I don't. That said, there's also a chance that if I do go and I'm not feeling great/energy is still really low, I won't get the work anyway plus will have put extra stress on myself/my body. I guess I'll just wait as long as possible before booking a flight etc. and play it by ear.

I really appreciate your advice!
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather