Hemorrhoid or Polyp?

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Hemorrhoid or Polyp?

Postby JonnyJ » 06 Feb 2015, 14:13

Wondering if I have an internal polyp or hemorrhoids I know I have hemorrhoids somewhat because the CRS told me I did, not sure what stage they are but I don't think they are more than stage 1 or 2. They were thrombosed a couple months ago which was very painful and CRS told me they wouldn't get better without surgery but the pain went away but now the bleeding is back. Two years ago I had surgery to removed an inflammatory polyp just inside the rectum that bled a lot before it was removed. It was benign. This past summer I had a rectal scope exam and it came back normal. So is it likely what I have now is just hemorrhoids? I have no pain basically just fleshy tender things around the anus opening and also bright red blood on tissue when I go. One CRS told me to have a hemorrhoidectamy, another said to just try healing myself first. I do sitz baths and everything I know to do. But I am sick of this and obsessively worrying about seeing blood when I go. I'm going back to see the first CRS yet again next week they're probably sick of seeing me by now. How long would it take an internal polyp to grow back? Im really hoping the spotting isn't from a polyp. If it's hemorrhoids, why would the CRS want to do a hemorrhoidectamy instead of trying banding or ligation first? Im just confused.
JonnyJ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 11

Re: Hemorrhoid or Polyp?

Postby msimon » 09 Feb 2015, 18:28

Jonny. When do you see your Doctor? I don't know anything about polyps, sorry. If your hemmies are internal they can be banded but if they are external they need to be surgically removed, but often resolve themselves. Often they can be mixed and will improve overall by banding. I would definitely inquire about whether banding is an option for you. It's so much easier and less painful than surgery but often has to be done again as it doesn't totally remove them hemmie but rather reduces it.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Re: Hemorrhoid or Polyp?

Postby chachacha » 09 Feb 2015, 19:21

I have had hemmorhoids banded, but also have internal ones that can't be banded because they're too close to the dentate line. Maybe yours are also in a position that can only be treated with a hemmorhoidectomy. My surgeon does not like to do that procedure though, unless one's quality of life is really, seriously affected.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19