Post-fistulotomy swelling

Help needed

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Post-fistulotomy swelling

Postby LadyinDistress » 09 Feb 2015, 11:25

:thankyou: Hello all,
I've learned so much from reading all your posts! Now it's my turn--I could use some advice! I'm 6 days post-op for an abscess and fistulotomy. Worst problem is the swelling. Sitz baths don't help much. I'm taking Advil, which is helpful. First 2 days after surgery were great, then reality kicked in. Any ideas for reducing swelling? How about ice? I'm wearing gauze to absorb the drainage and seem to be doing OK with my diet and bathroom visits--no horrible pain or difficulty there. And I'm experiencing sudden burning during soaks--almost as if the wound suddenly opens up. Has anyone had that happen? Thanks for your advice!
LadyinDistress
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Post-fistulotomy swelling

Postby Garrod » 10 Feb 2015, 17:55

Hi LadyinDistress,
Welcome :)
I had a fistulotomy, but didn't have excessive swelling, not sure if it is normal or not. I actually didn't look at or touch my wound the first week :)
If this is your first week after the surgery, I assume you will have your first check-up with the doctor soon? S/he should know if that is normal...
Good luck with recovery!
Garrod
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby LadyinDistress » 10 Feb 2015, 22:47

Hi, Garrod,
My doc is out of town but I will be seeing him next week for follow-up. I'm at the itchy stage now. Yuck. At least the pain is better--but I feel kind of numb back there because of the swelling. Thanks for your good wishes!
LadyinDistress
Fibre Addict

Postby Garrod » 16 Feb 2015, 15:39

HI, LiD, have you seen your doctor? Let us know what he said about your swelling/numbness..
hope you're doing well.
Garrod
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby LadyinDistress » 16 Feb 2015, 21:10

Hi, Garrod,
I forgot to mention in my other post that the swelling and itching have been greatly reduced, and along with that, the numbness is much better, too. I have been applying an organic aloe cream to the gauze compress that I have placed against the incision, and it has been tremendously soothing and cuts down the itching to almost nothing. In case you're interested, it's called Aloe Infusion and it is 100% organic, with green tea extracts and vitamin C and E along with the aloe. You can buy it online. I hope this helps!
LadyinDistress
Fibre Addict