Lis surgery-can I take a 2 hour car journey and a fly the ne

Lis recovery time

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Lis surgery-can I take a 2 hour car journey and a fly the ne

Postby Whatapaininthearse! » 23 Feb 2015, 03:07

Hi guys,

I posted a message yesterday but It was rather long and I've had no replies, so I thought I'd try and keep it short and sweet. Hopefully someone will answer or advise me.

Ok, I am potentially having LIS surgery this Friday. Will I be able to travel 2 hours in a car and take a hours flight and do some walking around a city? I am due to go away for 2 nights. My CRS has said he did the same procedure on one of his colleagues and he was skiing the next day!

What do any of you that have had a LIS think?

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance :-)
Whatapaininthearse!
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Lis surgery-can I take a 2 hour car journey and a fly th

Postby chachacha » 23 Feb 2015, 09:43

I have to admit that I could not possibly have done that until at least 3 weeks post op. I'm at 5 weeks now, but could not sit until after the 3 week mark, and then had to only sit on pillows for the next two. Also, the day following surgery was VERY painful (full level 10 pain), and I had about level 5 pain for the full first week. In my opinion, even if you are only in a little pain afterward, you might damage the incision site by sitting and walking so much.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby owmybum » 23 Feb 2015, 11:27

Hi,

I have not had LIS... But from what I read on here, there is very little chance of you being able to do much for at least the first week. If I were you, I wouldn't chance it. Rest and recuperation to give yourself the best chance of healing your fissure once and for all!!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Jbl22424 » 23 Feb 2015, 23:47

Hi there, I wanted to reply to your original post but the site was broken. I had LIS and it was painful and I couldn't sit for two to three days. I had an easy recovery compared to some but still had bad spasms after a Bm for a few days. I definitely could not have traveled the day after. But I rode in a car and went swimming on day 4, at that point I was back to feeling how I did before surgery and could have done a light trip. But if I were you, I would not expect to go anywhere for a few days after surgery. You can read my surgery diary by searching for "unexpected LIS." Hope that helps.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Whatapaininthearse! » 24 Feb 2015, 03:22

Hi, thanks to you that have replied!

I am now going in tomorrow morning for the LIS operation!

This was a tough decision as I really don't want to let my mum down by not going away but she said this Op is more important which in all honesty it is. I had spent a lot of money on tickets to go and see a rugby match while we are due to be away, which I know she really wants to go to. I haven't told her about the tickets as they were going to be her birthday present!

It's treat they are getting me in quickly for the Op but it couldn't have come at a worse time! I do really need to go on this break as I will be loosing a lot of money and letting people down if I feel to sore and painful to go after the op.

I guess i'll just have to see how I am after the op and decide about going away then! I'm not holding out much hope from what you guys have said but I have to believe I'll be able to go! If my surgeon thinks I'll be ok I guess I have to have faith in him? Here's hoping!!
Whatapaininthearse!
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby chachacha » 24 Feb 2015, 09:46

Keeping my fingers crossed for you tomorrow, and hoping that all goes well and you heal quickly.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19