Pain holding gas and BM's

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Pain holding gas and BM's

Postby cracked82 » 01 Mar 2015, 16:35

I have had an anal fissure for about 18 months now. 10 days ago I had 3 hemorrhoids banded under general anaesthetic. The surgeon said he would take a look at my AF whilst I was under but found nothing had been done to that when I came round.

Anyway, I knew instantly when I woke up I was in a spasm and I had not had one for several months. It was awful, I tried massaging it, getting up for a walk on the ward, nothing eased it. I couldn't leave the ward until I'd passed urine which with a spasm was incredibly difficult!

I was eventually allowed to go home and recover. Since the banding, the spasm pain has gradually decreased and I am now back at work. But what I have been left with is pain when I get the urge to open my bowels or to pass wind. It is so uncomfortable that I feel I can't hold on to the wind or the BM and I must go to the bathroom straight away. Just wondered if anyone else has felt a similar thing?

Not sure if the hemmies have gone yet. I've not seen any bands in the pan or had any bleeding.
cracked82
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Pain holding gas and BM's

Postby LJP6 » 01 Mar 2015, 23:27

I have had banding twice (not under anaesthetic) and you dont tend to notice the bands or the piles dropping off they just come away naturally once the blood circulation has been cut off.

I have also had a partial haemmorhoidectomy (under anaesthetic) and found it was the anaesthetic that slowed my bowel movements and I became constipated for 5days! It was the most painful experience ever with me screaming on the toilet.

I find any operation effects your bowel movements so it is probably quite natural for this to be happening. I am currently suffering with an AF waiting for treatment and find that I am the same ... Needing to go to the toilet right away. I believe it is your bodies way of trying to help which in turn is not helpful at all! I have also been experiencing the same pain as you describe and once you are recovered I believe it will go away as that is what happened after my ops.

Like most people say on here make sure you drink plenty of water and also just go to the toilet regularly even if you dont get the urge just go to the toilet as you might just find you need to go and then it wont be too late and I find I get less pain that way.
LJP6
Fibre Addict