Lidocaine, Nifedipine, Diclofenac Compound

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Lidocaine, Nifedipine, Diclofenac Compound

Postby frank » 12 Mar 2015, 13:15

Hey everyone.

Have had fissures on and off for around 6 years. Never had to go to a doc for any of them. All went away fine with a little TLC. I have one now that is the worst pain I ever felt at times. Its very deep.

So the CRS prescribed me a Lidocaine, Nifedipine, Diclofenac Compound (which wont get here until tomorrow) and told me theres a 50/50 chance of healing it with this method first before surgery. She claims it will release spasm and help healing.

Anyone have succes from these ingredients? At this point I would be jumping for if my bowl movement was just a bad pinch or razor blades. Right now all that plus the whole left side of my sphincter feels like its in a seizure while my bowls are trying to empty.

Just wondering if a topical cream does in fact release some of this craziness.
frank
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Lidocaine, Nifedipine, Diclofenac Compound

Postby Scientist2516 » 12 Mar 2015, 20:40

Hi Frank,
The nifedipine is the one that's going to relax your sphincter muscles. The lidocaine is a topical pain relief and the diclofenac is an NSAID, which is an anti-inflammatory pain killer.

So it looks like you should be able to get the pain under control. Hopefully lack of pain will prevent those awful spasms. The nifedipine will relax the sphincter, also preventing spasms. The nifedipine should also relax your anal blood vessels, increasing blood flow to the area, promoting healing.

I think you've got a good chance, Give it 3-4 weeks, and if no improvement, tell your doctor and ask to try something else. Nifedipine didn't work for me, and neither did lidocaine. But that's just me, and we are all different. Hopefully these things will work for you and you'll be better soon.

Yeah, we all know about the razor blades and the seizures. I'm sorry you are experiencing them. Hang in there, you can heal. I did. You know about needing to drink lots of water and eat a good diet to get soft stools, right? Read around in this forum, look in success stories, learn what you can about what foods are "fissure friendly". Ask anything you need to.

Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby frank » 13 Mar 2015, 09:52

Thanks.
Im crossing my fingers in hopes it works. In your experience (as much detail as your comfortable with) what was it like while going to the bathroom? I will wake up in the morning feeling good and loose down there in my mind. Even able to pass gas at ease. As soon as my stool drops to a certain level and im ready to go, is when i get this excruciating tightness and burning. The initial push out is the worst then when its starts to come out, everything moves pretty decent then when sphincter closes it burns bad. All day spasms are a hit or miss. Never know if they will happen or not. Doesn't matter if I sitz or not.
frank
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 14 Mar 2015, 12:24

Hi Frank. You describe exactly what I am going through right now, and I've had LIS. Was doing better with the BMs until the CRS tore me a new one (I had to have an infected area laid open which left basically a very large fissure) and this is when the muscle seizure started. I can't say the nifedipine has helped that for me directly. I think the idea with the muscle-relaxing ointments is they allow you to heal a little bit each day and with the healing, the muscle spasms will calm down. Only botox or LIS (more conservative than mine, obviously) can actually stop spasms (although some experience immediate relief). Give the ointment a try for a few weeks before you determine if it's going to help you or not. The lidocaine should help you relax more as you may get a break form the pain and the diclofenac will help with pain too as it will reduce inflammation. I do have to wonder though. I had some diclofenac suppositories and they burned really bad but I am really sensitive so hopefully you'll be okay with it. Best of luck and keep us posted on how you do.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby frank » 14 Mar 2015, 13:16

I finally got my cream yesterday. I was wrong in what the compound was. Compound is
Meloxicam/Lidocaine/Metronidazole/Prilocaine. Not sure why they told me it was the other stuff. Anyways. Had a great day yesterday (other than going to the bathroom) and this was before the cream even got here. Today had a bowl movement that was possibly the best one i have had in 2 weeks (and that would be under a fine microscope) it still was bad. All seemed well then 2 hours later bam, burning spasms. I really hope this cream kicks in. Only been using 24 hours.
frank
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 14 Mar 2015, 17:25

That is an odd compound...I don't think there is a muscle relaxant in there. Maybe someone else with the know-how can chime in? Scientist maybe? Sounds like some anesthetic (lidocaine, prilocaine) and an antibiotic to me (Metronidazole)

I would definitely want to get a muscle relaxant if there isn't one in there.

Sorry to hear about the spasms. Most of us are familiar with those awful surprise flares :( Hope it gets better real soon for you.
msimon

Postby frank » 14 Mar 2015, 17:32

Sorry there is Diltiazem in it as well.
frank
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 14 Mar 2015, 17:43

oh good! That's quite the compound. Hope it helps!
msimon

Postby frank » 14 Mar 2015, 18:20

I sure hope so. I know they said it takes some time to work but I just can't grasp that a cream will take these spasms away.
frank
Salt Bather