LIS surgery Tuesday

Journal of LIS and recovery postpartum

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS surgery Tuesday

Postby NDMK312 » 06 Apr 2015, 17:51

Amazing news! I hope it continues too. I've been doing good as well. At about 1-2 but it lets up to a 0 within an hour, then home free the rest of the day. Today I went back to work (a desk job) and survived the full day with hardly any pain. I have a little bit of itchiness but not bad. I am also looking to run a half marathon this fall, so I'll keep fingers crossed for us both! Good luck, I'm so happy for you.
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Broncosgirl » 06 Apr 2015, 18:46

That's so exciting NDMK! I have been wondering about your progress. It seems like a good sign you made it through work!

Any half marathon in particular you have your eyes set on? I've been an avid runner for years and haven't been able to run at all now for months so I am looking forward to getting back at it.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby TonyA » 06 Apr 2015, 19:41

Good to hear it went well.
TonyA

Postby NDMK312 » 06 Apr 2015, 21:10

I'm hoping to do the Philadelphia half marathon. It will be my first. I've always been a runner, but mostly a sprinter. I took on distance after college. I was originally training for a 10 miler that is coming up, but had to defer due to getting this procedure done. Training was also tough due to on and off bouts with the fissures. Really hoping this does the trick. Like you, I just want my life and time back to spend with my daughter and do the things I love again. I would say it was my day 6 when things started to look more positive.

I had done one final call to my doctor and they had said slight discomfort could last up to two weeks post surgery. Here is to keeping the faith.

What races have you done? I want to definitely keep going with it if Philly goes well.
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Postby Broncosgirl » 07 Apr 2015, 09:33

Hi NDMK,
That sounds like a fun race! I hope you can do it!

My favorite half marathons were the Foot Traffic Flat in Portland Oregon and the Hibiscus Half in Honolulu. Most of my races have been on the west coast. My husband and I did do the Rock N Roll Virginia Beach which was a very fun race, but way too humid for me!
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby laban21 » 07 Apr 2015, 12:56

Did my second BM since the surgery this morning. Was not as painful as the first. Pain was a level 4 to a level 6. Now my anal area is starting to calm down. The pain this time was more of a stinging pain than a knife in the anus pain. Thank you Jesus! Hopefully this will continue to get better over time. My advice to people here is to drink 4 to 5 bottles of water a day. I think the bottles I drank were 16 ounces. I know you can get tired of drinking that much water at once but get into the habit of doing it so that you can have stools so soft that you barely have to push when letting it out.
Misdiagnosed with hemorrhoids in summer and fall '14
Diagnosed with an anal fissure in around Sept '14
Nifedipine cream since late '14
Tried botox around Oct/Nov '14
Hemorrhoid mistaken for skin tag until early '15
Fissurectomy April 1st '15
laban21
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Broncosgirl » 07 Apr 2015, 14:34

Great news laban!
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby laban21 » 07 Apr 2015, 14:52

Oh and I also suggest taking laxaclear at least once a day.
laban21
Fibre Addict

Postby laban21 » 07 Apr 2015, 17:36

Also do you guys know if Tylenol extra strength makes you constipated?
laban21
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 4096 » 07 Apr 2015, 17:47

laban21 wrote:Did my second BM since the surgery this morning. Was not as painful as the first. Pain was a level 4 to a level 6. Now my anal area is starting to calm down. The pain this time was more of a stinging pain than a knife in the anus pain. Thank you Jesus! Hopefully this will continue to get better over time. My advice to people here is to drink 4 to 5 bottles of water a day. I think the bottles I drank were 16 ounces. I know you can get tired of drinking that much water at once but get into the habit of doing it so that you can have stools so soft that you barely have to push when letting it out.

The water advice is good, but I would go one step further and say to drink at least a gallon a day. Always have water with you and always be drinking it. Keep a bottle near the bed and drink it when you wake up in the middle of the night to hydrate for the morning.

I use a 32oz Nalgene bottle, I fill it up 5-7 times per day from my water filter that I attached to the sink. This way I don't have to buy and carry water home and I don't have lots of empty plastic bottles.
Deleted User 4096