LIS surgery Tuesday

Journal of LIS and recovery postpartum

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS surgery Tuesday

Postby laban21 » 07 Apr 2015, 18:32

Since the surgery I've been trying to drink at least 80 ounces of water a day. That really softened my stool a lot. I put some laxaclear in at least one of those cups of water as well. But drinking more water doesn't hurt. I get tired of drinking water throughout the day and sometimes it bothers my stomach but I know it's necessary so I drink it anyway. I'm glad that my stool has been much easier to pass. But again . . . Does anyone know if Tylenol extra strength makes you constipated?
Misdiagnosed with hemorrhoids in summer and fall '14
Diagnosed with an anal fissure in around Sept '14
Nifedipine cream since late '14
Tried botox around Oct/Nov '14
Hemorrhoid mistaken for skin tag until early '15
Fissurectomy April 1st '15
laban21
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Broncosgirl » 07 Apr 2015, 19:25

Day 7:
My BM today was pain free with some mild/moderate itching afterward. I get a few twinges of pain here and there throughout the day, but it feels like it is coming from the incision site and not the fissure. I went for a long walk today and that seemed to aggravate the surgery area a bit, but nothing too bad.

Emotionally I feel scared often of doing something to mess up healing like not drinking enough water or lifting too much. I am sure as each day goes by I will feel this less and less. I guess the emotional agony needs to have a healing process like the physical wound does.

Oh, and as a note, still no issue with gas or fecal incontenance or leakage. I have also breastfed just fine through the entire ordeal in a sitting position.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Rakan » 07 Apr 2015, 20:20

Hi Broncosgirl
I've been reading your posts for days and I think I'm ready to greet you and congratulate you on the great result and the incontinence-free surgery .
Be patient and we're all with you .
I've actually been suffering from it since last August and I still have it but it's gradually being less painful but too slowly that it makes me doubt and I have no pain with bowel movments except for setting for too long or walking and in those two cases , it can be pretty acute . I'll see a surgreon in 8 days.
I'm with you
good luck and be happy cuz you and your daughter deserve that .
Warm greetings from Canada
Rakan
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Broncosgirl » 07 Apr 2015, 21:10

Thank you Rakan! It's so frustrating when it seems like it is healing but always has some lingering pain. I had a few week like that during my struggle. That's where the mental part of this really gets to you. I hope you and your doctor can come up with a good plan when you meet. Keep us updated on how it goes!
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Broncosgirl » 08 Apr 2015, 12:35

Day 8:
Still having painless BMs followed by moderate itching. The itching can be quite uncomfortable at times, but manageable. I noticed an achiness after my BM today. I think that now that the fissure pain has subsided my body is recognizing sensations from the surgery site.

The sensation in my bum is similar to what your muscles might feel the morning after a hard workout. It lasts for about an hour or 2 in the morning. I am no longer taking any pain meds at all and have resumed my normal daily activities. I even worked out for a while again today.

I am continuing to take sitz baths a few times a day to help with the itching. I have also continued to take fiber suppliments and am drinking a ton of water. I only took a stool softener the first day after surgery and nothing since then. I do not have issues with constipation and found taking something caused me to have more than my usual amount of BMs in a day.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 08 Apr 2015, 16:31

Glad to hear you are doing so well! Have you had much for discharge from the wound?

I am wondering if your aches are due to your muscles adjusting to the change in muscle down there. I get a similar thing after botox when muscles that don't get the botox have to work harder and feel like they are getting a workout ;)
If so, I would think that shouldn't last very long.

The itching is awful isn't it? I have been really itchy the last few days as well. Let's hope it means healing!
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Broncosgirl » 08 Apr 2015, 18:20

Hi Msimon,
Yes, the itching is not pleasant, but its soooo much better than the fissure pain it is a welcome change!

I have not really had any discharge. I had a small amount of bleeding during the first 2 days and then nothing since then.

I hope you continue to heal as well!
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chachacha » 08 Apr 2015, 19:08

Sounds like you're doing really well, Broncosgirl, and I hope that you're as happy now about your decision as I am.

:cheers:
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Broncosgirl » 09 Apr 2015, 21:08

Day 9:
Much of the same... Pain free BMs followed by some itching. The itching was less during the day today although it is most noticeable when I get into bed at night.

The ache from the surgery site seems to be subsiding. I did a comfortable 40 minutes on the elliptical today.

I will hold off on updating until there is anything notable to report. My post surgery check-up is in a week and a half and will post after that as well.

I am very happy I had the surgery and today I noticed I did not think about my butt too often. That was as nice of a change as the reduction in pain. Soon I hope to not think about it unless it is "in use" ;)
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NDMK312 » 11 Apr 2015, 05:15

So glad to hear things are still going well. I'm still doing good also. I have my post-op follow up appointment on Monday and I hope to hear really good things. I put in a full week of work this week and it felt good to feel like I could focus on my work, family, and other things rather worrying about what's going on down there. Even the slight discomfort I was experiencing at the beginning of the week was nothing in comparison to the hell of those fissures. I'll post an update after my appointment Monday. I hope things continue to go well and look forward to hearing about your followup appointment too.
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Topics: 1