How many bm's per day?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How many bm's per day?

Postby Mae » 07 Apr 2015, 13:27

My CRS said that for an anal fissure is better to have one bm per day because that's less frequently the injury gets traumatized. But I find myself going two or the times a day. I do NOT want to hold it in and risk getting hard stools. I always seem to go once after my morning coffee and then again after my metamucil.( If I don't go then, it's late at night after work. I think all the running around at work might be the reason for that. ) Should I try to go less often, and if so, how? I mean not holding it in obviously. I'd just rather have it all come out at once instead of twice within an hour.
● Fissure first appeared Nov '14
● Cycle of healing and reappearing
● Using conservative methods (metamucil, managing anxiety)
Mae
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: How many bm's per day?

Postby Deleted User 4096 » 07 Apr 2015, 17:32

If you are taking a laxative that adds water to your stool and drinking lots of water, I would think you should be able to hold it for up to 1 day without a problem, unless it's physically bothering you.

I am only willing to go once per day, that is all I ever went. Even if I feel like I could go at night, I would always hold it until the morning.

I have always taken a shower after a BM and I am simply not willing to do the extra work twice a day, especially now that it's harder to keep clean with the fistula wound.

As an example, twenty minutes ago (6PM) I felt like I had to go to the bathroom while I was driving home. I farted and it passed, and now I feel fine. I could have went earlier, but I didn't and it passed. With the colace that I am on, it will come out fine in the morning.
Deleted User 4096

Postby Mae » 07 Apr 2015, 18:54

Holding it in uncomfortable though. If I'm not having pain and bleeding with bowel movements anymore, I feel like getting it out of me is better. But idk..
● Fissure first appeared Nov '14
● Cycle of healing and reappearing
● Using conservative methods (metamucil, managing anxiety)
Mae
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby msimon » 08 Apr 2015, 02:37

Mae, I think that everyone has their own bowel schedule and while you can do things to increase it or decrease it (mainly fiber consumption), I think that how often we go is determined by our own bodies and we have to let nature take its course. I think that while it may take you longer to heal, going more frequently shouldn't prevent you from healing. I would think that the most important thing for healing is to keep our BMs soft all the time. I most certainly would not try to hold it in as you can cause other problems doing that. It could make your BM hard when it does come or even give you pelvic floor dysfunction, which I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64