New here and getting ready to have surgery

Having a internal lateral sphincterotomy tomorrow

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here and getting ready to have surgery

Postby mikeymike76 » 27 Apr 2015, 14:58

My name is Mike and I have been battling the Anal Fissures for about 4 or 6 years. My surgeon has been telling me for a long time “when you get tired of dealing with this anal fissure come talk to me” well I have used the cream several times and it has worked in the past.
My problem was I didn’t keep taking Metamucil or a high fiber diet and kept reoccurring.

I don’t like needles or hospitals period but I went back in to have it looked at and he said it is getting pretty bad and you need to get this taken care of. So I have it scheduled for tomorrow morning at 6am so apparently I have to start a fleet enema 2 hours prior to arrival so I guess I have to get up at 3am and get started because the place I am doing it is about an hour away.

I am new to the whole enema thing and I don’t know what to expect out of it. If anyone has any positive things to share please feel free as I have never been through this surgery and am kind of scared of IV’s and etc. I am 38 years old and I am a baby when it comes to these things. I will keep everyone posted on everything so that I can help any new people that may need it.

Wish me luck!
mikeymike76
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: New here and getting ready to have surgery

Postby chachacha » 27 Apr 2015, 15:23

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear that you've already suffered for such a long time, but sometimes we get to the point where we just have to do something about it. I took even longer than you did, but am so very glad that I took the chance and had the surgery. My whole life is normal now, unlike the horror that used to be my situation after every BM!

I had to take a Fleet enema 2 hours before surgery too, and it was very straightforward. I inserted the nozzle as instructed, and then had to quickly jump from the tub (lying on my side as per the instructions) pretty quickly when I felt the urge about 3 minutes later.

I have very skinny veins, so was worried about the needles too, but my anaesthetist was great and I didn't feel a thing. I think that most are very good at what they do these days, and the needles themselves are also smaller and less easy to feel going in.

Thanks for saying that you'll come back to report afterward, because that always helps those who come after.

All the best and I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning.

:cheerleader:
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby mikeymike76 » 27 Apr 2015, 17:57

Thanks for your response and info chachacha. The doctor wrote on the paper *2 fleet enema two hours prior to arrival. Is it usual to do two?
mikeymike76
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 27 Apr 2015, 18:27

I only did one, and have no idea which would be more normal. Hopefully someone else will chime in and say if they had just one, or two?
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby msimon » 28 Apr 2015, 02:30

Hi Mike. I hope your surgery goes well. Please let us know how you are doing.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby mikeymike76 » 28 Apr 2015, 13:43

Well i am home and everything to go very smooth so far. The enemas did not go very good as i was pretty backed up already but it got some out and apparently it was enough. The surgeon had a little more work to do as i new i had a cyst or something else going on back other than just the typical fissure as i had told him the last time i had seen him. There was a cyst like i thought but he cut and drained it as well. I guess it is about time to take off the external bandage that is stuck to the hair on my bottom. He wants me to use sitz baths two to three times a day and use the pain meds prescribed. It really don't hurt right now and it is five hours past operation. I do need recommendations on what i need to do to get my stools soft as i am pretty sure my medication from silent reflux is causing me to be constipated. My next bowel movement is my next fear but i can tell you i was very proud of myself getting the IV and did not even get dizzy or anything. The precess was a breeze so far. I really give it to the staff there.

I will be back to keep you all updated!
mikeymike76
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 28 Apr 2015, 13:59

I can't speak to the keeping stool soft issue, because diarrhea was always my problem, but am thrilled that all has gone well for you so far. One of the most important things you need to do though, are those sitz baths, or full baths (I prefer them), because it really helps the healing process and keeps things clean.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby mikeymike76 » 28 Apr 2015, 15:54

Do any of you put any ointment on the area or something to keep it soft or maybe just during bowel movements. I have thought about the coconut oil.
mikeymike76
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 28 Apr 2015, 17:13

I think that in general, Doctors don't want us applying anything down there after surgery as you don't want anything that may promote infection by creating a barrier to drainage.

As for soft BMs, magnesium citrate, miralax/lax a day/movicol (same thing, different names depending on where you live) and milk of magnesium all work great for me (and many others on here). Not all 3 at once though ;)
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby mikeymike76 » 28 Apr 2015, 17:19

Thanks everyone. You all are very helpful. Do you guys use baby wipes or something like that after bowel movements until it is healed? Sorry I keep coming up with questions
mikeymike76
Fibre Addict

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here