1+ year post surgery advice

Need help for LIS Vets

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

1+ year post surgery advice

Postby jayman1333 » 21 May 2015, 12:54

Oh where should I begin? My fissure battle has been a long and tedious road filled with the typical ups and downs. I will try to keep this short to encourage some response. My fissure problems started around December of 2013; by March I had seen a CRS and tried the special nifedipine cream. By late March the Doctor and I agreed it was time to do surgery so that I could be healed in time for my wedding in July. So late March 2014 I had my LIS surgery. Instantly after the surgery I did not have any more fissure burning pain. However, my incision site would not heal. By late April/early May I had developed an infection that the CRS did not believe was there. Nonetheless, by late may 2014 it was obviously there so I had my abscess drained. The CRS said there was a 50% chance a fistula could occur. For the next several months (including my wedding month :cry: ) the abscess continued to drain, but I was in little to no pain. Finally in August the doctor determined that I must have a fistula so I would need a fistulotomy. After that surgery the doctor said the abscess was very nasty but he could find no connection to the actual anal canal, so that must have healed during the months after the abscess was drained and the fistulotomy.
Fast forward till today…almost 14 months since my original LIS surgery and about 9 months from my fistulotomy and I am still having some issues. I continue to have random days of blood, very little pain, but I can definitely feel the LIS incision site when I go the bathroom and sometimes get sharp pains there. The part the worries me the most is the blood, I normally will have a day or two of blood every 4 or 5 weeks. It seems like this site is never going to heal 100%. I still have to take colace every day (200mg) and I eat a healthy fiber filled diet. My poop is always soft but anything that is even slightly big causes an issue. Does anyone else have experience with issues like this? Am I ever going to be 100% again? Will I ever be able to stop taking the colace? :dunno: Any insight or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
jayman1333

Topics: 1

Re: 1+ year post surgery advice

Postby hurtinend » 21 May 2015, 20:28

I am sorry
Last edited by hurtinend on 27 May 2015, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby jayman1333 » 23 May 2015, 14:11

To add to my original post. The irritation and I think the blood is from the surgical site and not a fissure.
jayman1333

Postby msimon » 24 May 2015, 17:40

I can relate Jayman. I had LIS 6 months ago and an unroofing of a sinus that formed at my LIS incision site (stage before a fistula) over 3 months ago and am still healing. I am told that it is healing by my husband (I have been to afraid to look). I still gets days of blood and most days I spasm with BMs and have some degree of pain the rest of the day, some really bad and others OK. My CRS told me at my last visit that I could expect to bleed there on and off for years to come because I had 2 surgeries in the area. Was your fistula from your LIS incision?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby jayman1333 » 25 May 2015, 23:03

Thanks for the reply Msimon. Yes my fistula was from my LIS incision although when I had my fistulotomy they never found a full connection to my LIS incision. Very strange, but I think the Connection healed during the 3 months between the abscess being drained and the unroofing fistulotomy. At 3 months post surgery I was still having some issues and had to get silver nitrate to get my wound to close. So don't get discouraged if your wound is still open. Do you still use stool softeners and/or site baths? I still do both because I feel if I don't I will bleed again. The incision site just seems so weak and I'm so scared of seeing any blood. Hope you continue to heal and that there is final healing somewhere in our near future.
jayman1333