just had a kenalog procedure with Dr. Feingold

constantly updating my status

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

just had a kenalog procedure with Dr. Feingold

Postby johnnysantiago » 21 May 2015, 17:44

Hello all.

A little about me : i am in my late 20s and have been suffering from a reoccuring fissure for over 5 years.

I've seen 3 different doctors and on for five different occasions, using the ointment and changing my diet, the Fissure has healed itself. However, it has always come back with a vengeance. After much deliberation, I decided that I couldn't stand the pain anymore.. But I didn't want to have an lis surgery because I wanted to avoid cutting at all costs. Thus, comes in Dr feingold.

after initial consultation, the doctor told me that I had a superficial tear in my anus but although small, it can certainly cause a lot of pain. The problem I've been having, is 24 hours to 36 hours of constant spasming after bowel movements which do not let me rest. no matter what my diet has been, whether or not my bowel movements have been hard or soft, the pain has always been present. It's basically put my life on hold.

anyway, today I had the operation. I was in surgery for about 30 minutes and in recovery for about 2 hours after that. The numbing feeling was obviously present after the surgery and I just got home and had my first bowel movement right away.. The burning is incredible. I've had some really bad sinsations before, so this one isn't new and I could expect nothing less right after thwo different I've been prescribed two different medications which I am to take once every 8 hours and the other every 4 to 6 hours with food. Even with the Vicodin, I'm still going through the burning pain as I write this.

I will keep everyone updated as things move on. I know what you guys are feeling because I've been feeling it for over 5 years.. Let's hope this works out for me.
johnnysantiago
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: just had a kenalog procedure with Dr. Feingold

Postby DrMommy » 22 May 2015, 14:13

Oysh :( sounds like your in a lot of pain :( wishing a smooth and fast healing process.... I just made an appt for a consultation w Dr feingold and appreciate hearing about ur experience... Keep us posted!!
DrMommy
Fibre Addict

Postby johnnysantiago » 26 May 2015, 23:24

Hey gang -

So, it's about to be 6 days since my procedure and here's what i've got:

- after my first bowel movement (immediately after surgery when i got home), i took the medication they gave me and the pain went away. One med just ended (taken every 8 hours for 5 days) - the other is taken as needed for pain. I'm saving that for after bowel movements.

- Here's the deal: i've had NO pain and no discomfort. HOWEVER, i haven't had a BOWEL movement since that first one. It's like my brain is telling my body - 'DONT DO IT!' over fear of the pain.

I've had a hemmhoroid pop up which is annoying but as for the fissure, absolutely no pain really and no leakage. They said i can't play sports or anything and i haven't but wow i feel like i can do everything. I've been eating super healthy - nervous about the next BM because of the potential pain but that's why i had the OP: so i can use the toilet WITHOUT painful spasms!

Will keep you updated - please pray for me and hope i have NO pain and don't need to go running to the meds!
johnnysantiago
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissurefrustration » 27 May 2015, 07:33

Congrats Johnny!!! keeping everything crossed for you. Keep up the fluid intake!

FF
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby msimon » 27 May 2015, 14:31

So glad to hear your doing so well. Do you know what exactly you had done?

Hopefully your next BM won't be so painful. Keep us posted on how you do.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby johnnysantiago » 27 May 2015, 20:59

Yes -

I had the kenalog injection. Dr. Feingold slightly dilates, cauterizes the wound and then injects the kenalog.

I just had my 2nd BM since surgery and it was more blood than i've ever seen and barely any poo - a good strain to get out and i've been taking stool softeners and miralax like a wild man. A side effect from sitting around all the time has been a moon sized hemmhoroid and almost all the pain (i think) has been coming from that...it's hard to tell if the fissure is acting up because of this stupid hemmhoroid.

Anyway, i popped a pain killer so i haven't had any spasming since going (about an hour ago). I feel something coming on right now though so i'm going to take a second pill just to be sure.

God - i really don't know if this surgery worked but time will tell.
johnnysantiago
Fibre Addict

Postby hurtinend » 27 May 2015, 21:27

Don't overdo the Miralax, it can be constipating and irritating if you take too much, and combine that with pain meds, water water water prune juice prune juice

All the best
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby ihatethisclub » 28 May 2015, 23:21

I am SO excited to see this post. I have been reading all I could about this Kenalog procedure. I found a local doctor who is willing to try this procedure, but I literally only could refer him to Dr. Feingold's website where he outlines the procedure in very basic terms. Could you tell me what pain medications you were given afterward? What was his prescribed diet before and after the procedure? I would love any specific details to pass on to my doctor. He did tell me to expect it to be very painful for about two weeks because of the cautery, which has me a little scared.
ihatethisclub
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby johnnysantiago » 29 May 2015, 18:35

Okay guys - some updates : mixed reviews here.

Wednesday night, 6 days after my operation, i had the most painful bowel movement that I can remember. It was the first time i had a BM since the operation on the 21st and boy, was it hard. I've been taking a lot of stool softeners and eating super healthy BUT the codine based pain meds have probably constipated me a bit and along with the stress of the operation and all, i bled like crazy. But that's not the worst part:

At about 9:30 PM on Wednesday ( two nights ago ), i went into total shock. My body basically shut down with pain - i could not even walk. After moving in and out of the bathtub in my apt about 7x, i finally had my neighbor help me crawl to the ER at Cornell (i live on the east side of manhattan) where i was admitted immediately.

What happened, you may wonder. Well, i had a thrombossed blood clot form! I called Dr. Feingold and he said that 5-10 % of patients who have the procedure develop these (lucky me!) but fortunately, they were able to cut out the clot and the pain for the most part, went away. Even with two morphine shots and some other pills, i was still feeling it though, pre clot removal!

Yesterday, with the clot gone, i had another VERY hard bowel movement - tons of blood, tons of pain, tons of straining. I almost took myself to the ER again but called Dr. Feingold who very patiently and kindly spoke to me, calling me back explaining that at the end of all this, i will be okay but i need to give my body time to heal. With that, i calmed down a bit and took 2 of my codine based pain meds and went to sleep.

Today, i feel a bit hurt in the area: mainly where the incision to cut out the clot was made. We will see what happens with my next BM - so far, not so good but here's to hoping!
johnnysantiago
Fibre Addict

Postby johnnysantiago » 29 May 2015, 18:36

Ihatethisclub -

The two weeks after (what i'm going through now) have been more painful than anything before the surgery but ONLY after bowel movements. The time in between has been okay except for the evening of the blood clot where life was not worth living.
johnnysantiago
Fibre Addict