Aching in perineum on opposite side from previous abscess

Aching in perineum

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Aching in perineum on opposite side from previous abscess

Postby Cporosus1 » 03 Jun 2015, 15:26

Hi guys,

I figure it's better for me to ask my paranoid questions here than schedule an appointment with my CRS anytime I have any little concern. Since yesterday I have had a mild aching pain when I press my fingers on my perineum on the right side. My previous abscess/fistula was on the left side and there is no pain there now. On this right side there is no lump and there is no pus or blood discharge...nor is there a fever. The ache is not noticeable unless I press on the skin in the area. What's concerning me is that it is in the same spot as the previous abscess, only on the opposite side. I have felt similar pains years ago when riding my bicycle long distances...is it possible it's just a muscle ache or something? I'm paranoid that this is how it all starts...but logical is telling me, if there was infection, I'd need to have more than a mild ache in my perineum right? There is no swollen mass or anything and I can't feel the pain while sitting or moving, only when I press on the area. How long does it take for an abscess to develop? It's probably nothing...but I'm worrying like crazy. I have extensive travel plans a month from now.
Cporosus1
Salt Bather

Topics: 28

Re: Aching in perineum on opposite side from previous absces

Postby msimon » 03 Jun 2015, 15:39

I totally understand your concern Cporosus. I am also having a really bad ache that goes from my incision site up into my butt cheek. Logic tells me it is probably a muscle spasm and hope my physio will find it this afternoon and my mind will be put at ease. Having suffered from pelvic pain for many years I can tell you that it certainly can ache from just a muscle knot. Can you think of anything you may have done that would cause such a thing? Physical activity or otherwise? Of course I can't say for sure it's not an abscess but you will only know for sure if you see your CRS. I never had a fever with mine but had pain and swelling upon my BMs.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Cporosus1 » 03 Jun 2015, 16:06

Well I have no pain with BM's and there is no swelling....if I press on the site there is no lump or anything like that, just pain that feels like a bruise or muscle soreness...it's VERY mild, I can't feel anything when sitting or walking or working out. It's possible I may have leaned on it while lifting weights a couple of days ago. I was doing seated military presses with the 65 lb dumbbells in each hand and I think I may have shifted the weight to the right side in an effort to put weight off my scar tissue on the left side. I also sit for long periods typing papers. Of course, things like this may have happened frequently before and I just never paid any attention to them because they were so mild. I know the smart thing to do would be to just stop worrying and wait it out...if it WAS something then I imagine I'd know for certain within a week or less (I don't think an abscess would just sit there deep inside). I suppose it could also be from sex, although I can't be 100% certain. There are a myriad of things it could be, but of course my mind is going straight to the worst and least likely. I am doing tons of planning and work for a big work trip that I have in Indonesia in July (I will be sweating and doing extreme physical activity) so the thought of being incapacitated is terrifying (I would lose a ton of money, as well as going through 7 months of torture again).
Cporosus1
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 03 Jun 2015, 19:58

I know what you are saying. We are supersensitized both mentally and physically after such ordeals and it will take time for that to fade. Time will indeed tell if you have another abscess but to me it sounds unlikely, especially on the opposite side of the original. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Cporosus1 » 03 Jun 2015, 20:29

Thanks msimon...the pain is actually closer to the crease separating the buttocks from the thigh/near the scrotal area. When I had my abscess it got very large and protruded into this area on the left side (the firmest part was here actually) which was probably why my fistula ended up being very long but low enough for fistulotomy without seton. It's strange that the left side where I had the abscess and the fistula now feels fantastic...no more pain at all, no soreness, no nothing. Weird to be worrying about the right side now. Makes me really paranoid about Crohn's disease...although I know I don't have that (no symptoms).
Cporosus1
Salt Bather