SITZ Baths

What Works 4 U & What Doesn't

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

SITZ Baths

Postby skoonix » 02 Jul 2015, 00:53

I'm curious about others experiences with the sitz baths. I only go once a day so I have a sitz bath after the BM & some days it brings relief & other days it makes no difference. Like today. After soft stools 3 days in a row, a harder one today, it was painful, no blood, but the bath did nothing. The after pain was quite strong, steady & throbbing. Advil or Tylenol don't seem to help at all. I'm only 3 weeks into my first fissure so from what I've read I guess it takes patience. One member wrote you "have to think in weeks & months not days" - because it DOES seem like 2 steps forward/3 steps back with the healing, etc. Re: baths - I also have read conflicting reports on whether it should be hot water or just warm water. Do people ADD anything to the water? I know coconut oil is supposed to help. Epsom salts? What about a bit of hydrogen peroxide - would that help at all with healing? And do others take 3 or more sitz baths in a day? Any suggestions/stories/own method would be appreciated. Thanks.
skoonix
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: SITZ Baths

Postby Garrod » 02 Jul 2015, 03:34

Hi skoonix,
I got totally addicted to sitzbaths :) Just joking, but given that I've been doing one or several of them per day for the last 10 months, I had no choice than to get used to it and like it!
I didn't have fissure like you, but had an abscess that was draining and then I was recommended to do sitzbaths, 3 times per day, one in the morning after BM being the most important one. I kept doing it for the fistula that formed, before and after the surgery. I was recommended to put magnesium permanganate in the sitzbath, as it has antiseptic properties, so as to keep it clean, especially during wound healing after surgery. Epsom salt has the same properties, so it's good to put something in it.
Neverthless, I got another fistula tract that formed because the outside healed too soon, nothing that sitzbaths can help for. But, it certainly does good, for cleaning, antiseptic properties and muscle relaxation.
It's boring to sit there, but get a book or do your emails, and time will pass faster :)
Garrod
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby hurtinend » 02 Jul 2015, 19:33

Sitz baths feel good, they are a good way of cleansing without wiping, I recommend nice and warm, hot can irritate

But, I also find that if I'm going to have a bad day, the sitz bath only helps for 10 minutes, then it's game in and I'm about done with this game.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby Savaici » 02 Jul 2015, 20:47

Could not survive without the Sitz. Just kidding, but I use it every day and it definitely helped me heal, as the heat gets the blood flow moving, down there, which is what you need.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222