Foods that aggravate fissures?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Foods that aggravate fissures?

Postby bumbumsong » 22 Jun 2015, 00:16

Being allergic to wheat I eat a bunch of rice like in rice cakes, cereal, and white rice about once a week with stirfry. I'm a bit freaked that it can cause constipation from what people have said here and there. :/ I don't react really to the breads and stuff it's in, but now my mind is OCD white rice in stirfry will give me a brick poop.

I do know bananas too often aggravate me so it's hard trying to figure what'll flare me and not.

Anyone have foods they know for sure trigger them?

Thanks!

Kat
bumbumsong
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Re: Foods that aggravate fissures?

Postby msimon » 22 Jun 2015, 13:01

What about eating wild rice, or at least mixing some in with your white rice. That's what I do.

I don't know of any foods that set me off, although I have avoided tomato sauce for like a year. Just started eating it again recently and I don't know if it's bothering me as I am already hurting pretty bad down there. I have avoided nuts for the last 4 months and eat nut butters instead.

I just make sure to take my magnesium and stool softener every day (a little with each meal) and eat pretty much whatever I want, but that always includes lots of fibre, especially from veggies.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Canadabum » 22 Jun 2015, 16:21

hey bumbum....turns out that white rice does set me off...when i eat rice i make sure it is brown and i am ok with that.

try and document your eating and you will find out for yourself (looking back at your diary the next day) what works for you and what doesnt.

in my early stages i found soups of all kinds to be amazing...specially a good chicken soup, minestrone....lots of boiled veggies in each to fill me up but make sure that it was soft in, soft out

try snacking on apple sauce (that too was good for me) and probiotic foods also were a godsend for me (kefir, kombucha, miso soup, kimchi etc etc)
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Daisy Mac » 23 Jun 2015, 15:20

I eat lots of rice crackers but only to dunk them in hummus, and I haven't had a problem. If I eat white rice I always make sure not to eat too much and to follow it with something that I know helps with soft stools. Bananas are only bad if they're a little under-ripe, I think. If they're nice and ripe they shouldn't bung you up. One thing I know doesn't work for me is dairy. I was getting better for a while, decided it was time to reintroduce some dairy, and the very next day I had a relapse so dairy is out. I'm sad because I love cheese almost as much as I love my children. Maybe a little more than I love the four-month old these days, because she screams her head off from 9pm to 1 am every single night, but anyway I'm getting off-topic. I thought anything fried was off limits but I took a chance and had fried sweet potato fries and I was fine. One day I didn't eat any fruit and the next day, again - relapse. So fruit is crucial for me. I eat a mango every day, usually a nectarine and lots of blueberries and strawberries. If I notice I'm out of fruit I'll make a special trip to get some.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Postby bumbumsong » 06 Jul 2015, 23:43

Thanks a bunch everyone! :)

I switched in instant brown rice, it's got enough fiber (here in Finland at least) and it's not a pain to cook. I've been avoiding bananas except 1 a day.

Kat
bumbumsong
Salt Bather