PFD post-fissure

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

PFD post-fissure

Postby vdb324 » 10 Jul 2015, 20:58

Hey all! I'm back.

I had my first AF in Feb. 2013, but wasn't diagnosed until July 2013, at which point, it was a little too late. I had Botox in October 2013, along with a skin tag removal, and again in December 2013. Finally, in March 2014, I had a successful spinchterotomy! Since then, I haven't had a repeat fissure, but I have had several other health issues, which I believe to be somewhat related.

I saw several doctors post-AF for residual rectal pain/low back pain, I heard everything from internal hem (which shouldn't hurt) to muscle strain along the lower back spine, which put me in PT for eight weeks or so... After that, I developed bladder pain that felt like knives in my urethra. I had two UTIs, which left me with symptoms worse than the UTI. My urination frequency increased, which I chalked up to drinking more water post-AF, and my BMs were rather urgent, which I chalked up to increased fiber. I still had bouts with constipation, which I blamed on IBS.

Because of all of this, I saw a urologist who diagnosed me with pelvic floor dysfunction (PFD). After hearing my symptoms, she told me this could all be related. I went to a physiotherapist and also an OBGYN - both who told me to get off hormonal birth control and that I had PFD (which can both exacerbate fissures, I've been told).

I'm not sure if the PFD caused the AF, or if the AF caused the PFD. My best guess would be on the latter after my recent experience with the OBGYN. She poked with just a Qtip and placed pressure on parts of the back of the vagina and the pressure in my rectum was quite awful and painful. She commented on how tight those pelvic floor muscles were. After I left, the same exact spasms I had with the fissure returned for the rest of the day. I'm going on diazpam for pelvic floor relaxation, physiotherapy, and also an ET gel to combat the damage done by HBC.

I'm really hoping this does the trick. This AF has been a pain in my arse for 2.5 years now! It's just amazing that the pelvic floor can be so tight after a spinchterotomy, but I suppose these are different muscles, and if the spinchter had a lot of pain, the pelvic floor might be over-compensating?
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Re: PFD post-fissure

Postby vdb324 » 10 Jul 2015, 21:37

Feel free to move this to the Chronic Pain board. I completely missed that earlier!
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Savaici » 11 Jul 2015, 10:26

Moved it for you, vdb324. What is an ET gel, by the way?
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby vdb324 » 11 Jul 2015, 21:41

Thanks! It's an estrogen/testosterone gel.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby vdb324 » 14 Aug 2015, 22:07

Update: The pain seems to be located around my coccyx, which can cause pain with BMs, according to the PT. Not sure where to go from there, but I am continuing my PFD stretches, yoga classes, and some valium. During PT, there was an internal massage of it, and then I walked quite a bit that day. One of these two things irritated it, and I'm still in quite a bit of pain today - particularly when walking. The PT thinks it's related to the PFD.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 15 Aug 2015, 03:00

I have the same issue. Physio can definitely flare it up too for a few days. Progress with this is very slow. I am in the middle of it myself. Hang in there and keep with the physio, I really think it can help. It has definitely helped me, although I am far away from where I hope to be still.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64