Slight relapse

Feeling like I'll never heal

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Slight relapse

Postby Daisy Mac » 12 Jul 2015, 12:37

Once again, I was completely pain-free for about three weeks, started reintroducing different foods slowly. Then yesterday out of the blue, that lovely pooping glass feeling returned. Didn't strain during BM and it was formed but not hard. I'm so frustrated, going on five months of this. It doesn't hurt terribly now, andno spasms. Just enough to let me know I'm still not healing. I guess I'll start with the Diltiazem again and go from there. The only questionable thing I'm consuming is coffee, just one 8 ounce cup a day, with a bit of cream. Do you think that could make a difference? The rest of my diet has been pretty much perfect, nothing but sweet potatoes, oatmeal, mangoes, whole wheat everything... VERY FRUSTRATED!!
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Re: Slight relapse

Postby Daisy Mac » 12 Jul 2015, 13:17

I'm also breastfeeding, and some think that the hormones can prevent healing, but I'm not certain enough of that to wean early. My baby is five months old. The only other thing I can think of is I eat a sweet potato just about every day, and I leave the skin on. Maybe that scratched me a bit and I should start peeling them? I don't know, I'm willing to try anything at this point. I would eat nothing but baby food for the next year if I knew it would help me heal.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Postby hopefull » 12 Jul 2015, 16:46

Sorry to hear to got that glass feeling, it's such a slow process this healing business but it sounds like your on the way, keep focusing on that you've had 3 weeks forward, that's great!
I would say all that food is fine as long as you chew so that how it goes in is how you want it to come out, that's how I try to think of it. Plus drink lots of water especially if you are drinking coffee and breastfeeding, I'm sure this is old for you though. Are you taking a stool softener? There are many factors that can affect BM's so can be a guessing game working it out.

I've got a chart on my fridge with a countdown of 15 weeks and it says 'stick to it' so that I stay on the diet that long before introducing other food. From what I've read on this forum the advice is to stick to the diet for at least 3 months, 6 months is good and for life is even better.

I've wondered about weaning from breastfeeding, my little man is 6.5 months old, I keep intending to wean. Like you I'm not that convinced that it will help the healing although I gave my son 3 meals a day for a few days and I had a good few days, since I've gone back to one meal a day so that his digestion could sort itself out again I'm back having the same problems. Will test the 2-3 meals a day again since he's regular again and see if it was just not a coincidence.

Hang in there, its a slow trend upwards :energetic:
AF since Jan '15 postpartum
Taking: Lax-sachets, flaxseed oil, Mg
Topical: Diltiazem, Sudocrem
Circulation: Warm wheat bag, relax, short walks
Tried: Rectogesic, slippery elm, Lactulose
hopefull
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby hurtinend » 12 Jul 2015, 16:57

So sorry all

cant imagine that sweet potato skin could harm anything. I stopped taking a food diary because nothing made sense, and I could not correlate pain to food, it also depends on the rate of your digestion.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby Daisy Mac » 12 Jul 2015, 17:06

Yes, I am on Miralax/Restorolax. The most frustrating thing is that I haven't had anything but soft BM's so I can't understand why I've relapsed. The other times I relapsed I had slightly firm BMs but not this time. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to heal on my own without surgery, but I'll give it until after weaning (I want to nurse for another 7 months). If still not healed by then I think it's surgery time.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Postby Daisy Mac » 14 Jul 2015, 11:55

I'm already just about pain-free again. It seems like I heal a little quicker after every relapse, so maybe I'm slowly but surely healing for good? Guess only time will tell. It sure is a stubborn bitch though!
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 14 Jul 2015, 22:18

Yes, Daisy Mac, that was my experience too. Each relapse was a bit easier than the one before, and healed more quickly. It stinks that it is taking so long, but as long as you are making progress, it's OK. As I've written elsewhere, I finally healed using Estrace estrogen cream. Could be worth a try for you.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby felix » 15 Jul 2015, 15:59

I am in exactly the same position as you...I have had 3 weeks pain free again after a little 2 day set back following another 3 week good period. I reckon that if things are getting better and you are healing faster in between then you are probably heading in the right direction.
It is exhausting mentally though. I definitely have more of a fear than anything else now! Keep going, it sounds like you are on the right track..
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Daisy Mac » 15 Jul 2015, 23:33

Yes, the fear is the worst for me too. Part of me thinks, how long can I really keep this up before I do something wrong and relapse completely. Tonight I went to a potluck and all I could think was how each dish there might affect my ass. No one should have to think about their ass this much!
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Postby felix » 16 Jul 2015, 14:46

I agree nobody should think this much about their bottom! I find that the more I think about it, the worse it gets...Are you still on the Dilt? I found that it has been much better for me than nitro but guess it is a really individual thing. Hope you recover fully really soon.
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist