Question about bleeders

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Question about bleeders

Postby dmcff » 16 Jul 2015, 06:19

P4inintheb4ckside wrote:
I also don't think I can get Nitroglycerin here either... Glyceryl Trinitrate.

I think they're the same thing:

The chemical nitroglycerin is commonly referred to as "glyceryl trinitrate" or "GTN" in medicine to distinguish it from nitroglycerin as used as an explosive. However, the drug is often referred to as "nitro" colloquially.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_u ... roglycerin
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52

Postby Scientist2516 » 16 Jul 2015, 08:27

Oh well, glyceryl trinitrate is the same as nitroglycerine. That is correct for anal fissures. However, if it's not working, maybe it's time to try one of the other two.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby P4inintheb4ckside » 16 Jul 2015, 09:18

dmcff wrote:
P4inintheb4ckside wrote:
I also don't think I can get Nitroglycerin here either... Glyceryl Trinitrate.

I think they're the same thing:

The chemical nitroglycerin is commonly referred to as "glyceryl trinitrate" or "GTN" in medicine to distinguish it from nitroglycerin as used as an explosive. However, the drug is often referred to as "nitro" colloquially.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_u ... roglycerin

I had a little inkling it was the same thing but wasn't absolutely sure. Thanks for the clarification.

Tbh it does work for me in a 'hit and miss' fashion - I'm using it after every BM right now and the bleeding is reducing each time.

The pattern tends to be I get a few weeks+ without any major pain or bleeding, then one hard stool or whatever and it opens again, and I get a 4-8 day battle trying to close it again.

Been this way as long as I can remember. I'm going through one of those battles now.
P4inintheb4ckside
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby msimon » 16 Jul 2015, 10:50

Glyceryl Trinitrate is effectively the same thing as Nitroglycerine, I believe. How long have you been on it for? How many times/day do you apply it and what quantity do you apply?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby marty » 11 Sep 2015, 22:51

I hope this story will help someone. My mom who is 83 years old suffers from hemorrhoids and she had severe bleeding. She was given suppositories which did not help. The bleeding hemorrhoids were too far up and the suppositories did not reach that far. The bleeding was so bad she complained she felt she got her period back. She is going to be scheduled for a colonoscopy to ensure that the bleeding is strictly from the hemorrhoids. I should point our that 2 weeks earlier she had a bacterial infection that caused diarrhea for 5 days and had to be hospitalized. When they finally found the culprit that caused the diarrhea she was given antibiotics. The only good thing, according to my dear mom, was that the bleeding had stopped. A day after the diarrhea stopped, the bleeding started again. So this week, I was desperate to try anything to try and stop the bleeding. This is when I decided to search the internet for a natural solution. I came across the information on virgin coconut oil and making the suppositories. So I went out and made my own. they are very easy to make. I refrigerated the oil so that it was solid, then put a teaspoon and a half into some plastic wrap and formed a long suppository. Refrigerated it to a complete solid and that night the suppository was inserted. The result, the next morning, a lot of blood came out at the beginning and then stopped. She was no longer bleeding. When I came to visit the next day, she was happy because the bleeding stopped. Just to make sure that it was the coconut oil, we decided not to put it in the next night. Lo and behold she started bleeding again. So we decided to put the coconut oil suppository again in the afternoon as she went down for a nap and the bleeding stopped. We will be continuing this for the whole week since she feels better. In addition, every morning she takes a smoothie with, probiotic yogurt, organic chia seeds, aloe vera juice or apple juice, banana and blueberries to replace all the flora that was destroyed when she was given the antibiotics for the diarrhea she had. She is well on her way to recovery. If this works in the next seven days, we will discontinue and see if the bleeding returns. If the bleeding does return, we will continue the coconut oil suppository. She will still have the colonoscopy as soon as it is scheduled and we are hoping that her bleeding hemorrhoids will heal. We are hoping to avoid any other type of operation especially at her age.
I hope this information will help someone.
marty