Help...

Anal Fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Help...

Postby apeters » 31 Jul 2015, 12:20

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have had a chronic anal fissure for about a year and half. I feel like I have tried everything there is to try. I feel hopeless. Does anyone know of a miracle? I have never done any kind of surgery and doctors don't know a thing. I don't want surgery either. The doctor I went to said it is one of the worst ones he's ever seen. :-(

Can anyone on here help me?
apeters

Topics: 1

Re: Help...

Postby k202 » 31 Jul 2015, 21:21

There will be lots of people who will give you better advice than I on here. I've only been dealing with this thing for months as opposed to your situation. Everybody is different, so what will work for one person won't necessarily work for others.

Here's what I have done over the past several weeks and I can finally see a light at the end of the tire.

Diet: Find something that works for you and keeps your BM's soft. Once you find something, eat that every single day and eat the same amount at the exact same times every day. Usually cut out meat, cheeses, and junk food. Increase vegetables. Get fiber into diet, but don't go overkill on this.
Water: Drink lots of water. I drink 2 32 oz bottles of powerade zero a day and 2-3 16 oz bottles of water every day
Caffeine: This is kind of debatable. It seems that I needed caffeine to keep things moving every single day: I have 2-3 cups of tea spread out over the course of the day as well as 2 glasses of Diet soda.
Stool Softener: Find one that works. I had minor success with Dolcolax; Miralax was a game changer.
Cream: The doctor prescribed diltiazem. I put on twice a day; once in Morning and once after a BM (or vice versa, depending upon when your BM usually occurs). Some people have had success with other creams, and coconut oil seems to be something that works here.
Exercise: walking is good; running or vigorous exercise seemed to aggravate my situation. Don't lie in bed all day, it will funk up your BM schedule. You have to be moving (to a degree) to get the bowels moving.
Sleep: Get a good night's sleep every night if possible. Sleep is regeneration for your body.

Here is what has worked for me. I'm about 85 percent healed... I won't say I'm healed for another month, I'm staying cautiously optimistic.

6:45 a.m. : Wake up
7:30 a.m. : Instant oatmeal topped with Greek Yogurt.
7:40 a.m. : Apply dialitazem cream (as far up as is not painful)
7:45 a.m. : Leave for work (I walk 15 minutes at a good pace to take public transit)
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m: I have a 16 oz bottle of water, 2 cups of tea, 16 oz diet soda, and a 32 oz bottle of powerade zero. I alternate drinking each of the different drinks during the course of a day.
12:15 p.m.: Lunch - brown rice and beans, and a can of cut green beans (doused with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt) Recipe: 3/4 cup of brown rice, 1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth and 2 TBSP of olive oil. Boil and reduce heat till until rice is tender and all of the vegetable broth is soaked up. Add 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of curry, and 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper. Add dark kidney beans (1 can) and one can of black beans drained. Stir and heat for 5 more minutes. This recipe lasts me 4-5 days and constructs my daily lunch.
1:00 p.m. One fiber choice chewable
4:45 p.m. One capful of Miralax with about 8 oz of powerade zero.
5:00 p.m. 15 minute walk to public transportation and home.
5:45 p.m. Dinner: 6 Morningstar Farm chik N Nuggets, and a good helping of brocolli, both doused in extra virgin olive oil. For dessert,4-6 prunes.
6:00 p.m. One fiber choice chewable
5:45-10:30 One more bottle of water, one cup of tea, another soda, and another bottle of powerade.
7:00 p.m. Have a BM (I use a squatty potty (this thing works wonders)) (Apply Dialitiazem afterwards)
8:30-9:00 p.m.: Snack: A small serving of Barilla Plus thin spaghetti doused with extra virgin olive oil (some salt and pepper to season), and a cup of greek yogurt.
10:30 p.m. : Sleep

Repeat for 23 days (on weekends, I'm off by 30-45 minutes here and there, but religiously stick to this schedule). I go for two 15 minute walks, one in morning and one in late afternoon on weekends to simulate the days that I walk to train station.

This religious routine cleared up my pain and in 14 days, since following this strictly and religiously, I feel 100 times better and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope you find some routine that can work for you. Hopefully something in here can be of use and be helpful. I'll send some good thoughts your way. :-)
k202
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Help...

Postby hurtinend » 31 Jul 2015, 23:29

Listen to k202

Great suggestions, agree 100 percent

Time and patience and relaxation are key

Truth be told, there is no miracle, I've been on and off since 2007, doctors are well, useless, for the most part.
Some heal, some don't, creams help, creams don't help much

Surgery heals many but not others. Educate yourself

My best advice based on my recent trial and error:

Eat less, increase fluid, water only, soft steamed veg - raw not good for me, drink 3 large glasses of warm water first thing on waking, relax, breathe, do not think about the thing. I wish you healing.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52