My Fistula surgery/LSI story

Moved from LSI to Fistula because of change in surgery

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: My Fistula surgery/LSI story

Postby Mdeegan » 07 Aug 2015, 07:58

Yes they gave me bunch of Percocet, i havent taken any cause im afraid of constipation.. I feel the cut but it is not the same as pain after my BM's before. Im just waiting for my first one after surgery and then i will know what I have to deal with. I am taking Metamucil and Docusate plus plenty of fruits and water. Could you share what your first bm was like? What you did before and after? Thanks
Mdeegan
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 07 Aug 2015, 18:52

My first BM was very painful but the fact that I also have pelvic floor dysfunction made things so much worse for me. Most on here do just fine. I was taking ibuprofen before the BM so it wouldn't hurt as much and soaking in a warm bath right after to calm down the muscle spasms that followed. Hope all goes well for you. Let us know how you are doing.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Mdeegan » 07 Aug 2015, 19:25

Of course i will! I apreciate you sharing, ill definetely be taking a painkiller before. I had an urge to go few hours ago but couldn't quite relax the muscle and got excrutiating pain! So bad that i had to take Percocet...I can understand that cause i have an open wound there. But also i feel like my body has forgotten how is it "to go" without pain:((( i decided to change Docusate to Miralax, not to push no more, relax my mind and my body and just wait for it to come naturally... Patience and patience :roll:
Mdeegan
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 07 Aug 2015, 20:16

Great choice about the Miralax. I was thinking of suggesting it to you. Seems like there is nothing else that is quite as good. If that still doesn't do it you could always add some Milk of Magnesium to the mix.
My muscles had to relearn as well. I didn't want to say, but mine completely seized up when the BM was coming. It got better with time (when some healing got underway). This may sound gross to you but some people on here (as well as some Doctor's have suggested) poop in warm water as it helps ease the pain. You can either do it in the bathtub or a sitz bath. Good luck :)
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Mdeegan » 08 Aug 2015, 07:32

At this moment nothing sounds gross to me! I was kind of thinking of that already since it feels so good during the day...:) i just want this pain to end...thank you for your advice with Milk of Magnesium, i feel like my hamburgers instead of fruit!! Lol when all i ate was watermelon and plums yesterday. I think i have similar situation with my spasm, even before the bm i can feel it and then its just one big seizure. I am trying now to mentally relax and to try to have any control of that. I am so thankful for your sharing... I really am.
Mdeegan
Fibre Addict

Postby Manitourose » 12 Aug 2015, 07:28

How are all of you doing recovery wise? To answer a question @msimon, I was also given pain meds (Vicodin) and Colace. Between consistent recommended use of the Colace, staying hydrated and lots of fiber foods/healthy diet, things went okay. I had no constipation.

I agree stay ahead of the pain, I tended to take the pain meds either in the morning if I had nothing to do but heal all day and relax, or at night after my clinical rotations. It really helped to keep me more comfortable which to me was important. Good luck guys.
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Postby Mdeegan » 12 Aug 2015, 18:07

Hi Manitourose! I just updated the other thread on my recovery, im doing slightly better my day 6 after surgery. I just wanted to thank you personally for your advice to do in the water:) first time was weird mentaly but helped 100% :thankyou:
I also have a follow up scheduled next week with my CRS will keep you updated. I have less discharge and the area looks more healed ( i had quiet a prominent skin tag which was removed)
I found eating smaller portions and only fiber products helpful, i will be definetely sticking to this diet for quiet a while.. Has any one had a complete healing even after returning to normal food? :scratch:
Mdeegan
Fibre Addict