Nytroglycerin gel, diltiazem

does it make anyone have worse spasms

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Nytroglycerin gel, diltiazem

Postby anniebee » 16 Aug 2015, 15:55

Hi. I am new here but have been suffering since May 2015. I have read a lot here and thanks to all of you for being here. In July Dr. gave me nitroglycerin gel. At that point, I only had extreme pain in the actual fissure area. The gel gave me horrific spasms-not a headache as described by many here. I was switched to Diltiazem. It occurred to me today that these ointments started and increased the spasms but, this does not make sense. Please anyone, have you had this experience with intense throbbing after use of these products? I don't know if it is a coincidence or if this brought on the spasms to the point that I can no longer function in daily life. And yes, have gone off them, Took the nitro for 3 days. The diltiazem until last week but post BM throbbing and spasm lasts for 6-10 hours.
anniebee
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Nytroglycerin gel, diltiazem

Postby hayleyw » 17 Aug 2015, 16:04

I've used both types of cream and aside from headaches from the nitro I haven't had any side effects. As you know Diltiazem works by relaxing the anal sphincter which should reduce the spasms if anything. I've heard of some people not tolerating the cream well for one reason or another. When it's something like an allergy there's usually a rash that developes. It might not be the cream but the act of applying it. If you try to push it up you should stop that immediately. It works perfectly fine when applied to the opening. I don't even rub mine in anymore. I just leave it there, stand up and let it be absorbed. Your fissure is clearly in a bad way right now which is why you are so badly suffering with spasms. I know you want to avoid whatever aggravates it but I would stick with the dilt for another week at least. It's helping me and a lot of other people and just because it's agony to apply now doesn't mean it will be like that all the time. Put a small blob on your finger and lightly put it on the outside of your anus. I apply mine when I get up in the morning and again before I go to bed. Take some painkillers in preparation if you are sure the pain is going to be worse afterwards. I have two fissures right now and trust me, I know your pain. Dilt is helping me but it's not an overnight cure. I've been taking it now for 7 weeks and only in the last two have I felt healing has started. It takes many weeks for these creams to kick in. Don't ditch them in the first few thinking they aren't helping.
hayleyw
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby anniebee » 17 Aug 2015, 17:49

Thank you so much for your reply. When I applied nitro, the spasms got worse and felt like dynamite blowing up. Had to hang on to the counter for hours crying with the pain. Now I read that nitro is used in dynamite. That is why doc changed me to diltiazem but still bad pounding like pain, just not as severe. Doc said she never heard of that side effect.Ok, I guess I will try it longer. My family has had it with me telling me I need to go to hospital but don't think that would solve anything. Appreciate your input. 7 weeks is a long time on that. I guess I gave up too soon?
anniebee
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby hayleyw » 17 Aug 2015, 18:29

anniebee wrote:Thank you so much for your reply. When I applied nitro, the spasms got worse and felt like dynamite blowing up. Had to hang on to the counter for hours crying with the pain. Now I read that nitro is used in dynamite. That is why doc changed me to diltiazem but still bad pounding like pain, just not as severe. Doc said she never heard of that side effect.Ok, I guess I will try it longer. My family has had it with me telling me I need to go to hospital but don't think that would solve anything. Appreciate your input. 7 weeks is a long time on that. I guess I gave up too soon?

Nitro is horrible. Gave me pounding headaches and made my heart race. It's my understanding that Nitro is often the first prescribed cream. Usually because it's a lot cheaper than Dilt. Like I said, Dilt causes me no problems personally but yeah it takes quite a while to notice it working. A lot of people have had good results from persevering with both creams but Diltiazem in particular. If I were you i'd carry on using it. I went to my crs at week 3 of usage and told him it wasn't working. He said most people don't see a notable improvement until week 6 so people do gave up on it too soon sometimes.
hayleyw
Salt Bather

Topics: 8