Diltiazem not working

Need Advice on stool softeners

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Diltiazem not working

Postby erbear » 11 Aug 2016, 23:03

Hello again! My doctor has put me on Diltiazem 4 times daily, along with a sitz bath before each time. She also has me taking Metamucil daily. It has been 4 weeks since I started this regiment and there doesn't seem to be much healing, in fact, after a sitz bath I get more swollen down there. The swelling seems common but I do not have much pain after a BM (only during). I think my biggest issue is keeping my stool soft. The first part of my stool is hard and the rest is soft. I am extremely worried about becoming dependent on the Metamucil, so I have also added prune juice as well. I bought Miralax but I read that Metamucil is better for daily use and not to use Miralax for longer than a week. Any suggestions on natural stool softeners? I am thinking about mineral oil as well but I am not sure about long-term use. I am upset that I am taking Dilitazem 4 times a day for 12 weeks, with no improvement!!!! I have had this fissure for about a year so it is definitely chronic by now :(
erbear
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Diltiazem not working

Postby sandrasmiles7 » 11 Aug 2016, 23:45

My doctor was fine with Miralax for longer use I have been using Mirlax for a little over a month and I had the most healing so far now that I've been on it. I cancelled a LIS surgery because things have been going much better with the Miralax. I also use diltiazem but sometimes it makes me itchy. Maybe switch to miralax for one month and if you don't have improved switch back to what you are doing.
sandrasmiles7
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby erbear » 12 Aug 2016, 00:21

Okay! I will start tomorrow since I already had some Metamucil. Do you have a suggestion on what time of day you take yours?
erbear
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby sandrasmiles7 » 12 Aug 2016, 21:19

I like it before bed and I usually to in the morning
sandrasmiles7
Salt Bather

Topics: 7