Let's talk Bowel Movement Frequency/Consistency

BM Frequency and Consistency

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Let's talk Bowel Movement Frequency/Consistency

Postby Cporosus1 » 24 Aug 2015, 11:03

Hello everyone,

Like many of you I have undergone some sort of rectal/anal surgery in the past 12 months and also like many of you it left me paranoid and a bit of a hypochondriac, so now that I've got many of my other questions answered I figured I'd start with another question, its about poop frequency.

I have noticed that on some days I poop twice in the morning...usually 1.5-2 hours apart. Most days I poop 2-3 times, but back when I was doing heavy bulking for bodybuilding I was pooping sometimes 4-5 times a day. These poops are almost always well-formed (the ideal "torpedo" shape) and i don't get cramps or anything like that. However, I DID get an abscess that turned into a fistula last year and it got me worried that my "going so often" was a sign of some sort of IBD. Most of the people I mention my paranoid fears to laugh at me and say I don't have anything like that since I would have cramps or diarrhea or blood or weight loss or nausea, etc...of which I have none. I have read online and it looks like many bodybuilders have much more frequent bowel movements due to the amount of food being ingested (sometimes north of 5000 calories per day/6 meals). My fistulotomy as successful and my wound fully healed after 3 months (its been almost 8 months now). What do you guys think? Should I get a colonoscopy just to be sure or do you think that's being ridiculous?
Cporosus1
Salt Bather

Topics: 28

Re: Let's talk Bowel Movement Frequency/Consistency

Postby hurtinend » 24 Aug 2015, 19:17

Okay well...everyone is different, I poop once a day, a friend of mine told me his wife poops maybe once a week if she's lucky, wtf

Why get a colonoscopy seems average for you.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Re: Let's talk Bowel Movement Frequency/Consistency

Postby hayleyw » 25 Aug 2015, 14:47

I wouldn't consider your bowel habits abnormal. The CRS told me anything from 3 times a day to 3 times a week is considered 'healthy'. If you're going 4 to 5 times that's probably because you are eating more than most. If you have no symptoms of a bowel condition (cramps, bloody diarrhoea, mucus in your poop etc) then i'd consider your bowels to be in better working order than most. Nice to be regular.
hayleyw
Salt Bather

Topics: 8