please help

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

please help

Postby salamon555 » 05 Sep 2015, 05:31

I had my LIS and tag removal surgery Thursday at 10:00 , today Saturday morning and I still have not have a BM yet . is this normal ? do I still have to wait more or forced to make it happen ? also I have a hard time sleeping on my side coz my hips and lower back hurts how could that happened ?, I still have burning pain scale (7/10) in the whole butt area even thou I take hydrocodone every 6 hours , any advice would be appreciated .
salamon555
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Re: please help

Postby chachacha » 05 Sep 2015, 08:51

It's only two days out, so I don't think that it's surprising that you're still feeling pain. I had a lot of back and hip and shoulder and neck pain after surgery too, but that was due to the fact that I was spending too much time lying down, which wasn't at all normal for me. I don't know if you could perhaps already be experiencing something similar. Some people don't get much benefit from painkillers (I'm one of them), so if you're like me, you won't get any relief from the hard drugs. And if they're not helping at all, it might be better to pass on them so that you don't have to worry about their constipating effects. Some people on this board have found that Motrin/ibuprofen, works better, so that might be an option for you too. I would not be worried about not having had a bowel movement after 48 hours, and you could make things worse by forcing it. My doctor suggested I take Milk of Magnesia if I got to the 72 hour mark.

Good luck, and I hope that you've already had that BM by the time this response has been posted.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby salamon555 » 11 Sep 2015, 16:08

Thank you ChaCha .I am updating my progress so far.This is an ongoing progression.After the third day of my surgerey I had a BM;was medium,with a fair amount of wild pain.I was expecting the worse,but at least it is not like the fissure pain.I am still spotting some blood and in the first three days post-op ,the blood was pink and minimal-size of a quarter,but since then the blood get thicker and getting to the size of a half dollar.Talking about medication,on the fourth day I stopped taking the hydrocodone.I was taking the full amount the days after my surgery,and then would take half,and now am down to none at all.I now take [2 ibuprophen 400mg,and 1 Alleve 220mg][620mg total.].And sometimes I alternate between this with Tylenol,all together 800mg.
After every BM's I still experience some pain,stinging,burning and irritation.I have some sharp pain,but I don't know if it from the incision area or the removed skin tag area.Does anyone have the same pain and can give me any advise Please ?
I do not know if the pain will subside,however,I know that I only had surgery on Thursday September 3rd.I take lots of warm baths and use my sitz bath,and handheld sprayer after I use the bathroom.I know it is difficult to clean,but I try to get the job done,as I know I have to stay clean to help with the healing process,and avoiding infection but the area gets so raw though.Is there anything I can use to help or protect the area?-coconut oil maybe?any suggestions?I am still drinking tons of water and lots of juices.I eat lots of steamed vegetables and sometimes organic chicken,prunes,dates and have added high fiber cereal.In the morning I drink a cup of Miralax and then I take one stool softener at noon.At night I take a half dosage of Miralax.I spend all of my time in bed,but have been getting up a couple of times a day to walk a little bit,or go into the backyard and walk around.The more that I do this,the more the sharp pain comes.what am i supposed to do? My next appointment is the 17th of september to get my follow up.I will keep updating.Thanks again for all of your help and support
salamon555
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sickoffissure » 11 Sep 2015, 19:13

Hello salamon555. I had LIS Aug. 3rd and almost 6wks later I still have pain with and after BM. It is not spasm pain but it is still pain. I have tried just about everything on the fissure to try and help with healing but nothing seems to work. I also use hand held shower to clean after BM. I have found if I put antibiotic ointment on fissure before BM it helps with pain during the movement. I really thought I would be pain free by now but everything I read says it takes time, time, time. I do know for sure I am much better since surgery but not well yet. Hope you have rapid healing!
sickoffissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby salamon555 » 11 Sep 2015, 20:39

hello,thank for the replay .Could you please tell me what kind of antibiotic ointment that you use?Thank you so much,I also hope that you get healed quickly.
salamon555
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sickoffissure » 12 Sep 2015, 06:25

I have been using the triple antibiotic ointment from Walmart. Their brand is cheaper. It's Equate brand. You can buy the "name" brands but they just cost more. I know different things work for different people so you may have try several things before you find something that works for you. Hope this helps!
sickoffissure
Fibre Addict

Postby sickoffissure » 12 Sep 2015, 06:30

I forgot to tell you that you really need to continue to keep your stool soft and try not to strain during BM. Mineral oil has worked for me but you do whatever works for you!
sickoffissure
Fibre Addict

Postby salamon555 » 13 Sep 2015, 13:53

Thanks Sicko. for the advice , I start using (AD ointment cream) will see what happen , last night my wife did looked at the swollen area and she saw a small pimple 2 cm away from the anus and around it solid touch feeling she squeeze it a little and was some puss coming from it , the liquid looks like thick yellowish , and it does smell funny , today morning she did the same thing but the liquid was watery mixer with blood .so I figure it out that maybe this is the pain came from , especially after BM's , and it give me a sharp pain when I fart . Is that a sign of a fistula ? please somebody help me . today Sunday , i will call my CRS tomorrow .Thx all
salamon555
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chachacha » 13 Sep 2015, 14:07

I had what looked like a small pimple for a few weeks after surgery too, and for the first week it was INCREDIBLY tender. If even the corner of the toilet tissue touched it gently, it was very, very sore. That's why, for the first three weeks, I never knew if my pain was mostly coming from that, the fissure, or the surgical site. After three weeks though, pain finally disappeared completely. My husband never "popped" that pimple-looking thing though, so I have no idea if it had pus or blood within. I have not had a fistula though, so can't answer that question for you.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19