Just had fistulotomy- not sure what to expect now. Help?

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Just had fistulotomy- not sure what to expect now. Help?

Postby Bridawn » 26 Sep 2015, 22:59

Hi everyone.

I'm a 26 year old healthy female with no crohns. The only bathroom-related issues I have stem from me not having a gallbladder but that's been controlled for a while.

I had an abscess two years ago which turned into a fistula few months ago. I had a fistulotomy done last Thursday. They laid it open and put an elastic seton in. The seton is not being tightened, I assume it's just there to allow drainage?

What should I be expecting? I really don't want more surgery, the flap surgery sounds terrifying especially. If the fistula heals like this, will my doctor then just remove the seton and I'm good?

Also I was doing quite well but the last day I have a lot of pain that feels like my skin is pulling - could it be the stitches pulling at me? I can see them inside the fistula tract.

Any words of advice? I've found so much random advice reading online but a lot comes from those with crohns... I'm quite freaked out by such a small thing becoming this huge problem. Any advice or information would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Bridawn

Topics: 1

Re: Just had fistulotomy- not sure what to expect now. Help?

Postby Savaici » 30 Sep 2015, 06:14

:wel: Hope you're doing better today, Bridawn, and sorry there have not been any members who have had the same surgery along. You might try using our search (the one directly above between FAQ and Portal) and entering the exact word as a topic and hopefully something will come up that wlll be of some use to you. Also, chat to your doctor and ask. I should imagine that it is the seton is pulling, but really hope that all will be well soon. :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: Just had fistulotomy- not sure what to expect now. Help?

Postby salamon555 » 01 Oct 2015, 18:22

Hi Bridawn , Me too I had a fistulotomy but without a Seton and this is my short story you might get benefit from it .
I was in good health until this last June a fissure show up during a hard stool I thought it was a hemorrhoid but of course it was-not ,so my surgeon decide to do a colonoscopy to Figure out what is going on inside but he actually make it worse and larger , so on the sep the 3rd I had a LIS sphincterotomy and 3 skin tags removal , unfortunately 11 days later I developed a fistula I don't know how it happened but it was a nightmare so he immediately admits me next day for surgery fistulotomy he had to de-roof it and leave it open, he said it was a superficial fistula almost 3cm long and 2cm deep , he want me to put on my wound Monuka honey and pack it to heal from inside out,although my wound is connected directly to my anus (sorry about this detail), anyway almost 2 weeks post-op and I still use pain pill Ibuprophen 400mg every 6 hours, and Miralax in the morning / stool softener at night ,My advice to you make sure to avoid both diarrhea and constipation , drink a lot of water also the area should be clean , and watch for any infection , if you feel something is not right call your surgeon , I wish for you a fast recovery .
salamon555
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7