Lidocaine rebound pain?

Has anyone experienced more pain with lidocaine?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Lidocaine rebound pain?

Postby Deleted User 4605 » 09 Oct 2015, 23:00

Hi all!

Total newb over here. This forum looks like a trove for info and I've yet to read it all so I'm not sure if this has been discussed already.

Has anyone noticed rebound pain when using lidocaine?

I paid a small fortune for a tube as prescribed by the doctor. The only time I used it within half an hour the numbing effect was gone but the sensation of pressure and pain on my bum tripled! it was some of the worst pain...i couldn't believe it.

I haven't used it since. The numbing was nice but the rebound pain was worst than my day-to-day pains.

Has anyone else experienced this? :confused: Maybe I did something wrong. I just applied a pea size amount on my bum hole and a little bit inside but barely.
Deleted User 4605

Re: Lidocaine rebound pain?

Postby anniebee » 10 Oct 2015, 00:03

Lidocaine was my "go to" for pain and then it started to make me burn and increased the pain. Had to get into the tub to get rid of the lidocaine pain. Maybe it is sensitivity to it????
anniebee
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Deleted User 4605 » 10 Oct 2015, 00:22

anniebee wrote:Lidocaine was my "go to" for pain and then it started to make me burn and increased the pain. Had to get into the tub to get rid of the lidocaine pain. Maybe it is sensitivity to it????

Yeah who knows? I haven't been able to find that much info online about that sort of rebound pain with lidocaine so it must not be TOO common.
i'm not sure i have a sensitivity, like i didn't notice any skin issues...just felt like numbing my nerves down there made them rebound with more activity afterwards? meh
Deleted User 4605

Postby chachacha » 10 Oct 2015, 08:38

When my CRS first prescribed lidocaine, he told me that it worked for 40% of people, didn't work for 40% and actually caused more pain for the other 20%. I fell into the middle group - it didn't work for me at all. Perhaps you've unfortunately fallen into the last group? I would go back to the doctor and see if he/she can give you something else (nothing worked for me, but many people find relief with diltiazem or one of the other drugs commonly used for anal fissures).
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Deleted User 4605 » 10 Oct 2015, 18:22

hi chachacha! been reading your stories on here in fragments. how did LIS work out for you and are you okay now?

yeah i must be in that last 20% who gets worst pain from it.

i am on diltiazem which seems to help with the muscle hypertonicity, unfortunately it gives me terrible eczema-like rash. i'll be asking for something else next time i see a doctor :\
Last edited by Deleted User 4605 on 10 Oct 2015, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 4605

Postby chachacha » 10 Oct 2015, 18:33

Yes, I had LIS in January of this year and it was the best thing that I could have done. I suffered for years on end, and my life became quite miserable. I was scared to have the surgery, but things got so bad that I really had no choice. I have not had any trouble since the surgery (my whole story is here lis-success-for-me-t9369.html), and now live a normal life and am grateful each and every day that I'm no longer suffering like I was.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Deleted User 4605 » 10 Oct 2015, 18:38

omg :') im so happy for you! my biggest fear with LIS is the risk of fistulas or incontinence. im off to read your success story rn ^-^

thank you <3
Deleted User 4605