painful anal fissure

pain management and advice

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

painful anal fissure

Postby Haywire21 » 11 Oct 2015, 16:15

Please help! I developed an an fissure about 6 weeks ago. My doctor said it is common with an episiotomy during child birth. My baby is 11 weeks old now.
I told my doctor about the pain and recommended stool softener and Vaseline. Which I have been doing. But I am in severe constant pain. To the point where I cannot take care of my child. I am doing the warm baths 4 times a day. As it is the only time I feel relief. But today it's so bad I am even in extreme pain while in the bath. I am in tears. I am taking tylonel. And I have tried witch hazel. Does anyone know of any instant pain relief? Should I go to a walkin clinic? Any advice would be appreciated, as I feel like this is taking over my life!
Haywire21

Topics: 1

Re: painful anal fissure

Postby suzyljank » 11 Oct 2015, 18:54

Hi, you need to take miralax or milk of magnesia. Regular stool softeners won't help. Try sitting on a warm heating pad, that helps a lot and you're not always hopping into the bathtub. Try some monistat complete care chafing relief powder gel. It has lidocaine in it and it's really soothing. It feels like it's wet when it's not. Vaseline is not a great choice. A&D ointment is good and so is aquaphor for lubricating before a bm. What helped me the most was a hand held shower bidet, http://www.sanicare.com/Sanicare-Faucet ... prayer.htm. Rubbing and using toilet paper only makes things worse. Hope this helps. If you don't get relief in the next few weeks see a colorectal surgeon. Your fissure could become chronic and they're tougher to heal. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby bumbumsong » 12 Oct 2015, 01:20

Sorry to hear about all that. Do you have food allergies? Those make mine worse. Are you taking a soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil? It helps soften the bowel movements. Are you drinking enough water or juice? dehydration makes dry BMs.

YES get to a doctor. Ask for lactulose as a stool softner and a prescription of pure lidocaine. Those two things have helped me beyond belief (plus of course visiblin fiber supplement).

I hate going to a doctor but just being able to talk and have some comfort on what was going on with me helped a bunch.

I hope you feel better soon!
bumbumsong
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby suzyljank » 12 Oct 2015, 08:10

Just a caution on metamucil, it's a wonderful stool softener but it's a bulking fiber and although it makes the stool softer it also makes it larger. If you have an active fissure or just healed one you don't want to over stretch the area.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Daisy Mac » 13 Oct 2015, 23:54

I'm sorry you're going through this. My fissure was also caused by childbirth (I also had an episiotomy). My little girl is 8 months old now and I think I'm healed. What helped me the most with the beginning and worst phase was Diltiazem 2% cream and Restorolax/Miralax. I also drastically changed my diet right away to keep my stools soft. Metamucil didn't work for me, and I tried about five different kinds. Made things too bulky. Where are you located? I know different places offer different meds.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12