Anal Abscess/Fistula Post Op Caring

Post Operating Caring of Wound

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Anal Abscess/Fistula Post Op Caring

Postby SporeW » 07 Nov 2015, 21:50

Dear all,
I was diagnosed with an anal abscess 3 weeks ago and after it burst, I immediately went into surgery to clean out the abscess, but unfortunately when the wound was slit open, a fistula tract had already formed, so the surgeon in Singapore also performed anal fistula surgery.

There isn't a lot of information on the internet about caring of the open wound post operation and the risk of the outer wound closing faster. So I want to take this opportunity to share my thoughts about what to expect for the first 14 days and the importance of post operations caring as it significantly reduces the change of recurrence.

Now I'm 3 weeks into it, and I would say the first 10-14 days was by far the most important, coz frankly I was still in shocked, and wasn't sure what is the proper way.

Day 1 to Day 2 post surgery: There wasn't much to do, other than I was confused and still shocked. For me the worst was over, because there was nothing more painful than having the abscess. Since I was still under the caring in the hospital, and my surgeon dressed my wound, the key focus was washing the wound/bottom area at least 3 times a day.

By Day 3 the pain was slowly going away, I was still hesitant to go to the bathroom and was still trying to figure out the best way to clean the open wound. Looking back, I would suggest first don't be afraid to go to the bathroom, you might experienced a slight pain, but it's not so bad. Second, don't freak out if the dressing came out while you are in the toilet and washing the wound. It's ok not to have the dressing all the time. If falls out, just need to do a better job in cleaning the wound. Third, don't be afraid to look at the wound, in fact I would strong suggest using a make up mirror and in a half squat position to look the wound. This helps tremendously so you know where it is and also allowing you the clean it properly.

In terms of cleaning: The most soothing time for me was actually running water down my butt. It is important to use a handheld shower head, which gives you more maneuver flexibility. Don't clean standing up, need to be in half squat or full squat position. (full squat better but it might be uncomfortable during the first 3-5 days) Also don't be afraid to spray water directly to the wound, but just make sure you DON'T use full power jet stream, make sure you reduce the water pressure. It is also OK to touch the open wound when washing.

What was very helpful for me was that I went back to see the surgeon or nurse for 3 times during the first 10 days (Day 3, Day 5 and Day 10), so that he can help me dress the wound and also clean the wound) I understand others may not have that luxury, but if possible, try to go back to see your doctor 2-3 times during the first 2 weeks.

The reason I said that is because when I went back to see him on Day 10, while the inside of the wound was healing and cleaned nicely, the Outside of the open wound was starting to close. Basically there was a little flap of skin from the open wound that was sticking to the other side of the wound. So imagine the open wound would look like a O, but instead it looked like an 8 if the outside of the wound started to close. Luckily tissue hasn't been formed, so my doctor manages to separate it.

On Day 5 of my visit to my doctor, he actually suggested I use cotton buds to clean the the inside of the wound every 2 days. But I quite hesitant to poke inside, looking back I should not have been afraid, but if possible I would suggest for others to get somebody to help you clean and look at the wound to make sure it's not closing.

My understanding is that had the outside of the wound closed faster than from the inside then the probability of recurrence was like 90%. If my explanation isn't clear, please ask your doctor about this and how to prevent this. Honestly the most important thing about post operation caring besides cleaning the wound is to make sure the inside of the wound heals properly before the closing of the outside, so please spend sometime understand this.

I hope this post would help others about the post op caring of the wound. Best of luck with you recovery!
SporeW

Topics: 1

Re: Anal Abscess/Fistula Post Op Caring

Postby richibeno » 08 Nov 2015, 14:48

Great post hope your doing OK
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?