Just had a cutting seton inserted,advice on aftercare please

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Just had a cutting seton inserted,advice on aftercare please

Postby Asore Arseagain » 09 Jul 2014, 03:05

Hi All

So i had my EUA, yesterday. It turns out I have a low fistula but because of my history of previous ops, they didnt want to chance a fistulotomy, so they decided on a cutting seton, which they expect to have one its business by 6 weeks time, since the fistula is so low.

Can you all please advise me on the next steps as i haven't had a seton before, whats the best aftercare?

Thanks AA
Asore Arseagain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Just had a cutting seton inserted,advice on aftercare pl

Postby richibeno » 09 Jul 2014, 10:09

Hi '
A cutting Seton is basically like a cheese wire 'slowley cuts the muscle and it heals behind these are normally under some sort of pressure to pull the Seton to the out side they some time tape the end to your leg and tighten it every other week 'its a little more pain full to get used to but it should basically do it job and fall, out
These areused when you have some sort of sphincter muscle involved '
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Asore Arseagain » 09 Jul 2014, 10:38

Thanks fir your response Richi. Do i follow the same aftercare as fir a fissure......showerhead to clean and sitz baths? Is it ok to use coconut oil? Or would you leave it dry? Thanks AA
Asore Arseagain
Fibre Addict

Postby tll » 09 Jul 2014, 18:49

I have never had the cutting seton just the regular seton and with that i used shower head and lots of warm sitz bathes as hot as you can handle the Dr always tell me.
tll
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby richibeno » 09 Jul 2014, 23:39

Hi I wouldn't put any thing on the wound until it heals more keep it clean and dry 'i used a hair dryer on a low setting ''
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Asore Arseagain » 11 Jul 2014, 07:20

Thanks to you both for your advice. So far I'm just a few days since cutting seton op. Its quite painful, I cant sit down properly yet. Ive had the dreaded bowel movement- which went ok. Ive made sure lots of high fibre foods and a spoonful of cocnut oil to help on its way. Mostly a little stingy after a BM. Use of wet wipes, shower head and then salt bath to clean up seems to b working well. AA
Asore Arseagain
Fibre Addict

Postby Sebrown426 » 30 Sep 2015, 19:39

How long did it take for the cutting seton to fully heal?
Sebrown426

Topics: 1

Postby RearEndTroubleSucks » 14 Nov 2015, 07:07

Cutting setons for what I heard take 4/6 weeks to fall. I have one for 3 months now. Post op main concern is to keep the thing clean - it's a "dirty" area - and dry. Seton will need to be tightened once in a while. Mine is not rubber (I think rubber is not ment to cut). When I stop feeling pain or discomfort, it means it's not doing anything and it's time to tighten. Tramadol is the only think that works. Other painkillers won't work. Soaking rear help. Anything with inadine or similar helps.
If you want to torture someone, insert a cutting seton. It has been hell. Not compatible with work.
RearEndTroubleSucks

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?