Help

Why is the pain starting again???

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Help

Postby Mypoorbutt » 25 Nov 2015, 14:22

Hi I'm a 40 year old women who has had IBS for years...no constipation ever...3 months ago I found myself in the most agonising pain I have ever experience....two labours of 10lb babies and a couple of kidney infections could even compare to this agony. After a poop the pain would gradually escalate until I was literally rolling on the floor in agony...
Went to the dr gave me the normal pile cream ( I have had piles for years never had this kind of pain) 6 weeks and 2 stone lighter I saw a general surgeon who diagnosed AF...given the calcium blocker cream...was allergic...given GTN...didn't seem to be working but after 6 weeks the pain started to go and I was left with just a burning and that was starting to go too
Now after 4 weeks of practically no pain and a normal life again...the spasm pain seems to be returning...I have done nothing different and am super careful what I eat...can someone please help as I cannot go through that agony again especially not over Xmas...my child has Aspergers and doesn't really understand
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated
Thanks guys x
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Re: Help

Postby msimon » 26 Nov 2015, 13:35

Are you still using the GTN?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Nov 2015, 14:51

Hi yes I am the GTN stops the spasms but they seem to have started coming back around 5 to 8 hours after I have applied it. Then when I reapply after the 12hours they go again...they had stopped for altogether for around 4 weeks....don't know why they are starting again as I have done nothing different and my IBS has been okk coz I am being very careful.
Mypoorbutt

Postby Canadabum » 26 Nov 2015, 14:55

Mypoorbutt...sorry to hear that the dreaded spasms have returned -- but great to hear that the GTN cream seems to help keep them away. My Doc. suggested I use the cream 3x a day and if needed even 4x a day -- basically as needed. Perhaps try applying every 4 hours and see how you do.

All best - Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Nov 2015, 15:03

Oh right thanks so much Canadabum my consultant just said the 12 hours and my GP is useless and doesn't want to supply me anymore as I'm on my 10th week but it took it 5 weeks to even start working...I think I will start putting one extra application in...also as my consultant saw no reason to stop the cream can my GP refuse to prescribe it for me....was panicking today when she said that as I cannot under any circumstances deal with that level of agony over Xmas with my children
Thanks for the replies
Mypoorbutt

Postby Canadabum » 26 Nov 2015, 15:08

I used cream for upwards of 16 weeks in a row...and quite frankly would use it for 52 weeks in a row if that helped me...i see no reason to limit the time you use it -- if it is helping you. As for your doc. refusing to prescribe -- I dont know the regulations where you live. However, given the GTN cream is not addictive, is not a narcotic and is used by people long term with heart conditions like angina...i can't for the life of me understand why a GP would restrict its use. If your GP refuses you may want to find another doc to consult and get a prescription asap.
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Nov 2015, 15:18

Thank you so much Canadabum...must admit to wanting to cry when I came out with what she said had to be my last prescription...I'm seeing her again in a week so will state my case a bit more forcefully...like you say it's used long term for people with angina...my GP had never heard of it before...so I think she is going off the advice given which is 8 weeks.
Trust me if I have to I will go to another dr or A&E rather than suffer that pain....the cream works it's just taking a while with me (never been quick at things) so why would you take away something that is letting me have a normal life...even if I wanted too the consultant won't offer surgery till I have had longer on the cream as it is starting to work.
I don't understand why the consultant couldn't have put that information on my medical file and saved me this worry.
This totally takes over your body and mind you would think the medical profession would try to make it easier
Mypoorbutt

Postby msimon » 26 Nov 2015, 15:19

I thought I read that you put the ointment 'up'. Do you insert anything to apply the GTN. Just wondering as you need only apply it externally as the skin down there is so highly absorbent. It may be harmful to be inserting anything at this point...

Also, GTN can cause headaches. Other than that, I also see no reason to not apply at least 3 times/day. You likely got better as you are healing but to fully heal a fissure usually takes at least 8 weeks so that may be why you are still experiencing symptoms. It takes a long time to heal down there and can be very much like riding a rollercoaster.

Lastly, some people develop a tolerance to these ointments and have to switch them at some point (for you, to either nifedipine or diltiazem).
msimon

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Nov 2015, 15:25

Yes I use my little finger (goodbye dignity lol) as its a bit tight up there...was told to do it that way by the consultant as my fissure is up there not on the outside.
I did get a couple of headaches but they were minimal and nothing compared to the pain without the cream...I have never had a proper headache...but can't imagine it making me want to stop using this cream.
Oh do you think I could be building up a tolerance then maybe that's why it's not lasting the full 12 hours??
Mypoorbutt

Postby msimon » 26 Nov 2015, 15:30

Or maybe the ointment itself? Did you have it compounded? My bet is it just really doesn't last that long and I would try 3 times/day. I never felt mine lasted much over 8hrs. Seems a bit soon for tolerance but everyone is different. Some ointments work better for others.

Also, the ointment does not have to go on the fissure itself, just needs to be absorbed and affect contraction of the internal sphincer. When absorbed at the opening, it relaxes the entire internal anal sphincter....
msimon