LIS for patient not in ''severe'' pain?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS for patient not in ''severe'' pain?

Postby jay2502 » 25 Nov 2015, 17:37

i have just about had it !! its got to the point where i am talking about my anal fissures with any tom dick or harry, because i cant sit comfortably!!

i have had this problem for as long as i can remember, definitely more than 5 years and i am losing the will to live, it has also ruined my sex life, not because i want anything 'going on' down in the anal area, but the pain can actually interfere with my penis for some reason.

i dont have one fissure, i have several tears which are constantly popping up in different places, and a couple of fissures which i like to call the 'main ones' , which are always recurring.
the issue i have is i would not say i am in ''severe'' pain. i am in pain, its more of an irritating pain, but its almost constant with no respite! and the soreness down there can just be unsightly!

the very first CRS i saw (on the NHS here in England) did say that if the GTN cream did not work i would need an operation, thing is, i never saw him again! infact the person i saw after him was very young and told me i 'didnt have a fissure' :dunno: :wtf:
im thankful for the NHS but you cant pick and choose who you see unfortunately.
i went to a different hospital though and had the same problems seeing a different CRS at every appointment and just going round in circle till i was sent to a dermatologist, who has done the standard practice of giving me steroid cream and a very heavy moisturizer, this has made things slightly more comfortable but not really helped overall.

would i be a candidate for LIS, and how likely is it that it would work for me? being that i dont just have one single fissure which can be pinpointed.

i will be going private for my next CRS appointment (at the cost of £300 for 20 minutes :o ) , so want to be sure what i want.
jay2502
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: LIS for patient not in ''severe'' pain?

Postby Savaici » 25 Nov 2015, 19:43

Don't know where you are in the UK, but if you intend to go private there is a wonderful CRS in London (Mr. Windsor) and he comes well recommended by a few of our members.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby jay2502 » 26 Nov 2015, 06:04

Savaici wrote:Don't know where you are in the UK, but if you intend to go private there is a wonderful CRS in London (Mr. Windsor) and he comes well recommended by a few of our members.

:thanx: I don't live in London however I do travel there quite a bit . Which hospital is he in may I ask ?
jay2502
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 26 Nov 2015, 13:31

Jay, have you been check for IBD (Crohn's disease)? Or any other autoimmune disease for that matter?

Are your BMs soft every time?

So sorry to hear of your ongoing struggles. Hope you can find a good CRS that can help you soon.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby jay2502 » 26 Nov 2015, 16:30

msimon wrote:Jay, have you been check for IBD (Crohn's disease)? Or any other autoimmune disease for that matter?

Are your BMs soft every time?

So sorry to hear of your ongoing struggles. Hope you can find a good CRS that can help you soon.

Crohns has never been mentioned, i do get stomach pains which can be crippling BUT this happens only once every 2/3 months so presume its nothing to worry about.
Though its funny you should mention autoimmune disease as my mother has one. But how would i get tested for such a thing ?

BMs do tend to be soft, but not every single time. i do have a pretty good diet and healthy lifestyle in general.
jay2502
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 26 Nov 2015, 16:48

Not sure but you should definitely ask your Doctor. You have just had so much going on down there I have to wonder.

I believe a colonoscopy is the most definitive test but there are others that can be done first, such as blood tests.

To heal a fissure you really have to be able to keep every BM soft as the area is so delicate while healing. Do you take a fibre supplement or stool softener?
msimon

Postby jay2502 » 26 Nov 2015, 17:39

i did the stool softener for about 3 weeks maybe about 2 years ago, it did not seem to make much difference though...

i am actually in alot of pain tonight i would say 'severe' almost . its flared up more than in has done for a long time, very red and i can feel one large cut on the anus. :groan:
i have stupidly just smothered it in steroid cream, partly in anger partly desperation, i know its not good to have prolonged use of steroids down there but its all that helps :~!@:
have to wait till December 14th for next dermo appointment, though god only knows what he will do. not much is my guess.
after that i will go private.

i want to try anal dilation which i was discussing in another thread, i am still non the wiser about where EXACTLY to get anal dilators in the UK, any search i do leads me to sex websites.
jay2502
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 26 Nov 2015, 18:58

which stool softener did you try? Consensus on here is that there is nothing as good as Miralax/Laxaday/Movicol (same product, different name depending on your Country).

Have you tried heat for the pain? It can relax muscle spasms.
msimon