Anoscope vs visual/digital rectal exam

What were your exams like?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anoscope vs visual/digital rectal exam

Postby Manitourose » 02 Dec 2015, 11:58

So I saw Dr. Feingold in NYC on Monday. I had read on this board that he is gentle with his exam. This is true. He did not use an anoscope to examine me, instead just a traditional spread the cheeks poke gently and look. He diagnosed me with a superficial posterior fissure likely due to my fistula scar tissue. :groan: He's the 4th CRS I have seen in less than 2 years because of my moves. Ugh so very over collecting bum docs...

Anyways...

Why do most doctors use an anoscope? Would an exam like his render less information? Are some just just more skilled at this technique in what you guys have experienced? I suppose when all the CRS docs I saw in other cities used an anoscope I just am curious.
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Re: Anoscope vs visual/digital rectal exam

Postby msimon » 03 Dec 2015, 03:43

IMO an anoscope should never be used to visualize a fissure in a conscious patient as the trauma (both mentally and physically) will be far too much. I saw 2 different CRS's and they both just pryed to look (while I cried in pain). The one wanted to do a flex sigmoidoscopy under sedation on me as he said I would be through the roof if he probed anything while I was conscious. You just can't get a good look at these things and an EUA is really the best way to see the full picture. Some people do have very superficial ones though but you can't know for sure just by prying.

I actually got my fissure from an anoscope. Ancient torture devices they are!
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64