The Long Journey

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

The Long Journey

Postby dibbs31 » 10 Sep 2015, 14:36

I had dealt with hemorrhoids for years until earlier this year deciding to do something about it. I visited the general surgeon and we decided it was best to go ahead with a hemorrhoidectomy. This was done on 1 April 2015 and he removed at least three internal hemorrhoids (from what I remember). I was recovering well until about day 10 when a hard, extremely painful lump came showed up. I visited the emergency room and the surgeon on call said it was just normal healing. Two days later the extreme pain was still there so I went back to the emergency room when the first doctor said it was just normal healing but called the on call surgeon to take a look. Within 15 seconds of looking, he said you have an abscess and we have to drain it tonight. Two hours later I was being wheeled into the operating room to drain the abscess and what a relief that was the next day.

I thought everything was great until I noticed the sharp, passing-glass like pain during bowel movements. I put up with it for a couple weeks then decided I had to go see the surgeon again. I saw a new general surgeon and she said that I have a fissure and could try a botox injection that could possibly help out. About mid-June, I went to the surgeon to have the botox injection and she also removed a skin tag. I felt great for about a week then one bad bowel movement cut everything back open.

I went back to my original surgeon about a week later and he said the next step is the LIS and assured me it was a 95% success rate. So at the end of July, I went into the operating room for the LIS. Similar to the botox injection, I felt great for about 10 days after the surgery and finally thought everything was going to be gone. However, about a week later I had an extremely difficult bowel movement and the fissure was re-aggravated. Here I am about 6 weeks from the LIS and I visited the surgeon again. He saw that the fissure is not looking good and even noticed a fistula that has formed. I am finally referred to a Colorectal Surgeon who I will be visiting soon to see what the next step is. I have a good amount of scar tissue from the original hemorrhoidectomy that is causing everything to be extremely tight down there and the surgeon mentioned he was probably too conservative on the LIS. What a nightmare this has been but learn from my case and SEE A COLORECTAL SURGEON FROM THE BEGINNING!
dibbs31

Topics: 1

Re: The Long Journey

Postby Savaici » 13 Sep 2015, 06:30

Uggggh!! Do hope things will soon be right! And you are absolutely correct; always see a CRS with things to do with this part of our anatomy. I don't know why general surgeons don't just say that from the beginning...

Let us know how it goes. :wel: to the Forum. Wish you didn't have to be here, but glad you found us.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby dibbs31 » 02 Dec 2015, 06:50

A little update....

I went and saw the CRS on 15 October and due to the pain they were not able to do a thorough examination. I was invited back on 4 November so they could do an EUA and treat whatever was found at the time. I had the examination performed and the CRS found two fissures (one at the 12 o'clock and one at the 4 o'clock position). He conducted a double fissurectomy and they didn't find a fistula or any other abnormalities. There was not much pain for 24 hours after the surgery but it was painful enough after that to miss work for about a week. With two deeps wounds it was difficult to keep clean but luckily my angel of a wife helped me out a lot.

Now about a month later I am definitely feeling better. There is still some pain after bowel movements for about 6-8 hours and I still have enough discharge that I need to put gauze/pads in there to soak it up. Hopefully this is the end and will update in about a month after I see how the progress is going.
dibbs31

Postby Shania213 » 03 Dec 2015, 11:42

How did you end up with two fissures? This is what I have ? Did you ever have the stool stay in the anal canal for ages
Shania213
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby dibbs31 » 03 Dec 2015, 15:56

When I originally had the hemorrhoidectomy I don't think the doctor who performed it did a really good job. The nurses couldn't believe the pain I was in when I stayed overnight after the surgery. Then came the abscess. Once that all was close to healing there was a large lump (little pain) that was said to be scar tissue. This made passing stools very difficult and caused the two fissures I guess. One doc said I had one, one doc said I had a few tears, and one doc said I didn't have any fissures but some kind of infected wound that wasn't healing correctly.

I actually started using the bathroom regularly but it was just so difficult to get out even after Botox and LIS. Don't think I ever had stools stuck in the canal.
dibbs31