Hi everyone - help?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hi everyone - help?

Postby mrAnonymous » 21 Dec 2015, 07:47

Hi all, let me introduce myself.

Well actually I'm gonna call myself mrAnonymous because this is a rather embarrassing problem.

It all started probably just over a year ago when I felt some pain when defecating. After a few days, the pain got worse and there was some blood each time. I tried to keep a diet with a decent amount of fibre and as far as I can tell, I had (and still have) very normal stool consistency. However, the pain each time I defecate is still there.

Basically, I think it is an anal fissure but I don't know - could be hemorrhoids or even cancer. :(

I did go to the doctor about this about 3 months after it started (I live in the UK and so I went to see my GP). He briefly felt around inside there and said one of the muscles was slightly swollen, but I'm guessing he didn't do too in-depth an examination. I was told that "this could be a problem you'll be dealing with for the rest of your life." His prescription was for me to eat Oatibix and porridge to soften the stools - I thought this was odd as it's usually recommended to get more fibre in the diet. As I say I think my stool consistency is pretty normal.

Although the pain isn't unbearable, it is pretty unpleasant. It's not constant - it happens when I defecate and generally slowly goes away after a few minutes. Sometimes over a few weeks it almost seems to heal but then when I defecate I kind of feel a sudden tinge of pain as if the sphincter wound has ripped again and the pain and some blood is back. Quite often, the area is itchy if there was blood, instead of painful.

Well now it's been going on for over a year and I'm still in the same situation. What would you guys advise? I'm not totally sure what it is but my best guess is an anal fissure. What if I go back to the doctor and I get another non-answer? I'm guessing that it's not good to just live with this kind of thing, even if it isn't too severe, as I've read that the wound can get infected by fecal bacteria. Surely it shouldn't be something you have to deal with for the rest of your life if it's treated properly?
mrAnonymous
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Re: Hi everyone - help?

Postby Canadabum » 22 Dec 2015, 07:48

Hi Mr. Anon

:wel:

No need to be embarrassed by your condition any more than if you had a scrape on your knee!!

Sounds like a fissure to me but as newbie (welcome to you too!!) suggested you should see a CRS for a proper diagnosis and check.

In the meantime - some strategies to help include sitting on a heating pad any time you can, use the standard fissure creams if you have, drink lots of water (8 glasses a day), make sure you are eating foods with good amounts of soluble fibre but don't go crazy because you don't want to bulk up the stool too much...and finally consider trying a small dosage of movicol if needed - it is a softener. Sounds like you have good consistency so you wouldn't likely need a full dose.

Let us know when you are scheduled to see a CRS.
Best -
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Re: Hi everyone - help?

Postby Canadabum » 22 Dec 2015, 07:50

Meant to add...porridge made with oats does have fibre in it...soluble fibre. Go on line and read up about soluble and insoluble fibre...we all need a balance and it is trial and error for each of us.
Canadabum

Topics: 19