A setback or back to square one?

How severe is one big BM?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

A setback or back to square one?

Postby efr97 » 30 Dec 2015, 08:16

I've had this fissure for about 8 months, tried rectogesic for about 8 weeks without sucess (it caused irritation), and now have resorted to a regime which seems to be working quite well: Being very careful to keep stools soft, using duphalac and occationally ducolax, fibre, avoiding too much meat, getting a lot of exercise, and keeping my bum clean by showering after BM and applying this cream called AC3 Comfort which is composed of natural ingredients that neutralise bacteria.

This has worked really well, and for the last week I've had very few symptoms. This has been largely consistent with how soft my stools has been. I've had the feeling that this time around I would actually make it across to "the other side" and heal. Then, this morning, I had a bit of a struggle with a slightly harder (not constipated) stool, that I had to work a little extra to get out. And now it's painful in a more pronounced way than it has been the last 1-2 weeks.

My question is what does this imply? Am I back to square one and all the healing that would have taken place has to start over again? Or is it more of a setback or a temporary irritation?

(I know this is hard to judge over the internet, but just would like people's experience with similar experiences).
efr97
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: A setback or back to square one?

Postby Fissurefrustration » 30 Dec 2015, 08:56

So sorry to hear this and just so you know your not alone. I've been doing well for the past 2 months and this mowning bm wasn't terrible but was more of a struggle. Now a few hours on I'm getting horrible pains just at the top and just to touch that area of my sphincter sends sharp pains. It truly sucks and is the nature of this chronic condition. I'm thinking of you and keep up with your routine

Ff
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby Daisy Mac » 30 Dec 2015, 11:00

In my experience it was just a setback each time that happened, and I healed a little quicker each time. Hopefully that's the case for you and it's no biggie!
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby hurtinend » 30 Dec 2015, 16:39

I am in setback mode as well...typical and not easy to deal with. Endless cycle of pain, some healing and hope, and then...back it comes. For a long time i just had burning pain, now I have that spasm tight muscle thing. Hard to sit or walk.

I have tried everything but surgery and am now going to pursue surgery.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby efr97 » 01 Jan 2016, 18:32

My conclusion is that it's the consitstency of my stools that is the problem. At the moment I'm taking lactulose 10ml in the morning, 15ml before dinner, and 10ml before bed, and drink tons of water. Still the stools don̈́'t get as soft as I would like them. I have some ducolax, and this works wonders. Only thing is that this is not a long term solution.

Are there any tricks to keep the stools consistently soft as toothpaste? Am I taking too much lactulose?

I eat fiber and am careful with meat.
efr97
Fibre Addict

Postby Daisy Mac » 01 Jan 2016, 20:29

I'm not familiar with Lactulose, but Miralax (Restoralax) has worked wonders for me. I took it for about ten months and just weaned myself off of it and didn't notice any negative side effects.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Postby efr97 » 02 Jan 2016, 05:59

Thanks, FYI lactulose is the same as Duphalac
efr97
Fibre Addict

Postby Dnank » 02 Jan 2016, 22:17

Miralax has helped me tremendously too. I think it is the best thing you can take to keep your stool soft and keep you on a regular schedule. I take the recommended dose daily. In addition, I found that if I overdo it with fiber I can have problems even with miralax, so try to keep track of how much you get every day. If I have over 25g in a day I will have a large BM, or multiple BMs, that might irritate the af more than usual. I definitely learned to stay away from most of the fiber supplement powders. They make my stool larger. I think it's best to get the amount of fiber that works for you in the food you eat and not through supplements.
Dnank
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Daisy Mac » 02 Jan 2016, 22:23

Yes, fiber supplements turned out to be my worst enemy. When I first came down with the fissure I thought 'The more fiber the better...' and ate all the fiber I could get my hands on, but that was a mistake. I added up the fiber I was consuming and it was just astronomical. lol Turns out just my normal diet pretty much contained enough fiber.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 03 Jan 2016, 03:19

Miralax is called Movicol, if you are in the UK, efr97.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222