My Fistulotomy! With some questions!

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

My Fistulotomy! With some questions!

Postby Trolley5 » 26 Dec 2015, 23:49

Hello,
First time poster here! My story is I had my symptoms first appear early 2015. I thought what was haemorrhoids ended up being an anal abscess and turning into a small fistula. Had a G.I referral and they did a sigmoidoscopy and found that it was a very simple/minor fistula. Eventually got a CRS referral and was able to get me in the next week for Fistulotomy.

Had my surgery on November 30th under general anaesthetic. My surgeon is not Mr. Personality so he wasn't really descriptive of what was done during surgery. My next appointment I am going to ask for the operating report. I do know a cutting seton was put in. I Was off of work for 3 weeks! At first I thought that was going to be too long and I would be able to get back to life right away, but boy was I wrong. I was doing sitz baths 3-4 times a day. I started out with just taking colace in the beginning but then moved to Psyllium husk instead which was much better. Was given 30mg of Codeine at first but then had to switch to Tramacet one week post op since my pain was't controlled very well. Took that for about 5 days and switched to just Tylenol.

I am now week 4 post op. The seton is still in currently. Draining like crazy (going through 3 pads a day) of that putrid drainage :silent: . Pain is mild now, ranging between 1/10 most of the time, and sometimes up to 3/10 after bowel movements. I make sure that I shower after each bowel movement (tired of sitz baths) My next appointment is in the beginning of March. Any advice from people here for the healing process?

-When does the drainage usually stop?

-When will the Seton fall out?

-Will the pain completely go away eventually?

thanks everyone! :)
Trolley5

Topics: 2

Re: My Fistulotomy! With some questions!

Postby Savaici » 02 Jan 2016, 21:22

Sorry you've had no replies. Could I suggest you do a search (see above between FAQ and Portal) by topic and see if you can get some answers.

Welcome to the forum!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?