21 year old college girl terrified of LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

21 year old college girl terrified of LIS

Postby 21yroldneedshelp » 07 Jan 2016, 21:39

hi! I first noticed the pain and blood in late October. went to primary care doctor in November and then colorectal surgeon December 1st. was prescribed ointment and fiber pills and today,1/7 I have no relief. I went back to the doctor 1/5 and scheduled the LIS surgery for 2/5. I am terrified of it and do not want to do it. Last night I bought coconut oil and have since been applying it throughout the day and took a bath with it once last night and twice today. I have also been drinking a ton of water and trying to up my fiber intake with food. I have pretty bad pain while having a BM and always have blood when wiping. it typically burns afterwards, but never for longer than a few minutes. Does anyone have advice or think that I can heal this on my own before my impending surgery date???

PLEASE HELP!
Thanks.
21yroldneedshelp
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: 21 year old college girl terrified of LIS

Postby ouchie25 » 08 Jan 2016, 05:48

Hello! Sorry your in so much pain, it really is the worst!

LIS does seem scary, but there are so many success stories and people moving on with their lives from it!

Are you taking a stool softener like Movicol? This really helps keep things soft and consistent which really helps healing. A softener, baths, water, ointment and fiber seem to be key things to help heal!

Maybe if you don't want to go through with the LIS you can find a doctor offering Botox. That might be a better first choice as it isn't permanent cut and might give the fissure a chance to heal (it's working well so far with my 10 month old fissure!!!)

Hope this helps! :)
ouchie25
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby 21yroldneedshelp » 08 Jan 2016, 16:44

thanks for the advice! my dr did offer Botox, but said he hasn't seen any success with it in the past. :( maybe I should look more into it. I just wanna avoid the LIS at all costs I'm scared of the afterwards
21yroldneedshelp
Fibre Addict

Postby Anglee83 » 10 Jan 2016, 08:48

I had LIS on 1/7. I was terrified. I almost feel silly for being so scared. It was almost pain free! What little pain I had post operative was controlled by pain meds in my IV. When I got home I pretty much slept the entire first day. Had a BM the following morning and no pain except the soreness in the tiny area where they went in. I'm taking advil for the pain, don't even need the pain meds that were prescribed. Pre-LIS I had spasms for hours after every BM. It was no way to live. I'm so glad I got this done. Make sure you have an experienced colorectal surgeon perform your surgery, not a general surgeon. I would also recommend having it done in a teaching hospital. Hope that helps!
Anglee83

Postby 21yroldneedshelp » 10 Jan 2016, 17:06

do you have any insight on what post surgery is like? that's what I'm most afraid of
21yroldneedshelp
Fibre Addict

Postby Fyourmermaid » 28 Feb 2017, 01:52

Hey did you end up getting surgery?
Fyourmermaid
Salt Bather