Newbie seeking advice

Fissure Pain and Laxatives

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Newbie seeking advice

Postby Postpartumpain » 28 Jan 2016, 22:42

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, the reason I have joined is I really need advice from others whom have been in a similar situation to the one I find myself in at present.

Sorry of the story is a little bit long winded but I'll start from the beginning.

My rectum pain first started about 2 weeks postpartum (Aug 2015) after taking copious amounts of codeine which made me very constipated. I saw the dr. Who said take coloxyl, Proctosedyl and rectogesic and lutulose which I did, this softened my stools and made it a little easier to for a BM however it still really hurt.

Thankfully my mother who is a naturopath was here and suggested that they increase my vitamin C and magnesium intake daily.

I did this and over the course of about six weeks my BM improved and the pain slowly faded away.

The problem is mid November/Dec I stopped taking the vitamins and stool softners because I thought that I was fine.

Come Dec this year after a long haul flight, coffee,wine and cheese I became severely constipated and the excruciating pain returned. So once again I started coloxyl with senna and started using glycerin suppositories to have a BM, each time I went to the bathroom I was a sweaty mess in immense pain! I cried every time.

So I started using a glycerin suppository and Proctosedyl twice a day once in the morning and once at night to avoid my stool from hardening at the end which it was every time. This worked, my stools stayed soft ( come to think too soft and loose) with the frequent BM's, the pain slowly subsided.

I stopped using the glycerin suppositories twice a day and cut back to one continuing to take senna coloxyl each night before bed.

Things seemed OK for two weeks ( I still had loose stools but the pain had gone) and then BAM! The chronic pain was back again! It would appear having loose stools for a long period of time cause the fissure to flare up again? Can anyone tell me is this possible?

So back to the dr I went. He prescribed EMLA cream which is an anaesthetic cream to totally numb the outer rectum, Tramadol pills for pain and more Proctosedyl suppositories. He said to continue the luctulose and coloxyl minus the senna and glycerin suppositories.

I've been doing everything he recommended for the last 5 days and I have found the Tramadol makes me constipated and hoping to the bathroom is still complete agony even with the anesthetic cream because the pain is internal.

I'm taking vitamin c, calcium and magnesium in high doses. Drinking 6-9 litres of water a day because I'm breastfeeding as well, and my diet has consisted of fruit and soup in small quantities because I'm literally Sh!t scared to eat anything.

I'm now at the point where I'm unsure what to do.. Should I continue to use the glycerin suppositories to induce a BM because yesterday I didn't at first and after 20 mins on the toilet with a hard stool lodge mid way I had to use one. Or do I wait for my bowels to open normally to see if all of the vitamins and laxatives (those being parafin, coloxyl) work?

I'm scared to use the glycerin suppositories because I'm scared to have to go through all that pain again! Should I just wait and see what happens normally or do you think it's too risky given yesterday the beginning of my stools were super hard the rest soft and bulky?

Please help! I have an appointment with a general surgeon next week but that's 7 BM away!
Postpartumpain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

update

Postby Postpartumpain » 29 Jan 2016, 04:49

I ended up using a glycerin suppository to induce BM, I applied EMLA cream to the skin tag straight after inserting the suppository. I then took a Tramadol pill and 10 minutes later I had a BM. I've been squatting to avoid any added pressure, this combo seemed to make today's BM a little less painless ( thanks Tramadol) still pain in my rectum though both during and after. My BM was soft and bulky! So I'm happy about this. What I'm not so happy about is the fact that I ingested way too much vitamin c powder throughout the day and I now have diarrhoea and an upset tummy! I've gone from one extreme to the other. I didn't eat much today just buckwheat porridge blended with ginger and banana, so I'm thinking that has also contributed to this predicament. Can anyone just foods that are safe to eat?
Postpartumpain
Fibre Addict

Re: Newbie seeking advice

Postby Gp62894 » 29 Jan 2016, 10:48

Hiya, I'm also annewbie seeking advice and I think I'm quite new in the fissure cycle so can't help I'm afraid. I'm wondering though, do glycerin suppositories just induce a bm or do they soften the stool as well?

Basically I have a stool which has been ready over a day but I'm too scared to pass it because the pain has been unbareable every time I've tried. I'm looking for something to just soften this one stool that's already formed and hoping this is the answer??

I have the ones that are like a jelly, not liquid if that makes a difference.

I'm desperate for a poo so a speedy response from anyone will be much appreciated!
Gp62894

Re: Newbie seeking advice

Postby Postpartumpain » 29 Jan 2016, 20:12

Hi there, the gel like glycerin suppository introduces water into the bowels and from my experience makes the tip of the stool soft, it won't make the whole stool soft though. Speaking from my experience it does help softened enough of the stool to reduce pain when opening your bowels. I do hope it helps you.
Postpartumpain
Fibre Addict