Anal Fissure Disease; The Cranford Technique

my clinical experience treating anal fissures

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Anal Fissure Disease; The Cranford Technique

Postby Dr Cranford » 12 Feb 2016, 17:58

I have been treating anal fissures now for over 40 yrs....I wrote a paper called "Anal Fissure Disease: The Cranford Technique" which describes what fissures are, signs/symptoms, and suitable protocols for treatment. I have seen thousands and only by examination can you decide upon what needs to be done in each individual case. If there is no coexisting pathology(sentinel pile of Brodie, hypertrophied anal papilla, severe sphincter spasm etc) there are non-surgical options one may pursue. If there is surrounding pathology then a more aggressive treatment may be necessary. Typical proctologist will recommend LIS(lateral internal sphincterotomy), which at times may be necessary. However, I do the "Cranford Technique" which consists of anal dilation(manual) under local anesthesia and fissurectomy and removal of coexisting perianal/intra-anal pathology(scar tissue, anal papilla). The advantage, and a big one at that, is I do not cut the surrounding internal/external sphincter muscle. The risk with LIS is a condition called "wet anus syndrome" or anal leakage and patients are just told to live with it. If you have questions please refer to the above cited paper, which I wrote or you may go to sandyclinic.com and look under articles and find it there....Dr Steven Cranford....Sandy Blvd Rectal Clinic-Portland....Naturopathic Physician
Dr Cranford

Topics: 1

Re: Anal Fissure Disease; The Cranford Technique

Postby Savaici » 13 Feb 2016, 15:16

Thank you very much for paying us a visit! We have heard nothing but good about the clinic!! :Rock:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: Anal Fissure Disease; The Cranford Technique

Postby JHH » 16 Feb 2016, 14:54

Thanks for posting!

This "Cranford Technique" actually sounds pretty good to me.
(description here: http://sandyclinic.com/anal-fissure-treatment)

I would love to learn more, like whats your success rate, how many patients have been treated this way, have there been any serious sideeffects, and how do you determine who needs LIS and who don't.

JHH
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16