Rectogesic - how long until it starts to kick in?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Rectogesic - how long until it starts to kick in?

Postby over10yearsnow » 14 Feb 2016, 22:28

Hi everyone,

I started rectogesic 2 days ago. How long on average did it take until you started to notice it was helping?
I haven't managed to take the full dose yet as the first time I did that I was terribly ill with the dreaded headache and it made me nauseous too :( So currently on half / three-quarter dose. How much of a difference will that make to it working? Or beginning to work?
Desperate to make some progress!! :(

Thanks
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Rectogesic - how long until it starts to kick in?

Postby Canadabum » 15 Feb 2016, 11:39

over10 -- the fissure creams can take some time before they really kick in...if you are using 3x per day it may take a week...for some it can take a bit longer.

Sounds like rectogesic is not agreeing with you....i would highly recommend you go back to your dr asap and ask for nifedipine or diltiazem . Both other compounds accomplish the same as rectogesic but do not give headaches. Diltiazem seems to be more apt to causing rashes so I would go with nifedipine. Dont delay on this...go back and insist that you need a new prescription.

All best,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby over10yearsnow » 16 Feb 2016, 09:01

Great thank you for the reply. I've found it's getting easier so I think I'll keep trying with this one for now. I feel funny for about an hour and just have a lie down, then I'm ok.
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Postby over10yearsnow » 16 Feb 2016, 10:56

I will bear in mind the medications you've suggested if I still find I struggle at the point I go back next.

Also, do you know if it's safe to use steroid cream while using rectogesic? I have Sheriproct which I try and use very sparingly, but am currently opting for sudocrem. Just wondering if I should try and kick start the healing as well as trying to get rid of the spasm. ??!!??!?!
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Postby Canadabum » 16 Feb 2016, 17:24

I am not a Dr. -- so best ask yours that sort of question. Also -- use the search function that you find on the bar between FAQ and Portal...type in the key words and see what other experiences have been.

By dealing with the spasms you will be dealing with the healing...it is the spasming that prevents us from healing properly in the early days...by preventing blood flow to the area. The creams help with this as well as heat.
Canadabum

Postby over10yearsnow » 16 Feb 2016, 21:12

Ok great thanks.

Yes been trying to apply heat as and when I can. Even once the pain from the spasm itself has gone I'm still trying to take hot baths in the hope it will ease the remaining spasm. I'm also presuming the heat from this will bring more blood to the area too.

Still no joy. Bm earlier which was still very painful and now the spasm pain is back and left me sitting on a hot water bottle.

How many people actually recover from this? I understand that those who do wil stop using the forum but it seems the outlook seems grim :(

To
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Postby Canadabum » 16 Feb 2016, 21:34

Heat is very helpful in stimulating blood flow and helping to ease the pain. Sometimes I would alternate between beat and cold if my pain was really bad.

Have you tried taking some ibuprofen for the pain?

Am I correct in assuming that you have been dealing with this for 10 years - given your handle. As far as healing...it is likely a different trajectory for those in the acute and chronic phase of things. If chronic it is possible to heal...some on this board have reported being healed...and some learn very effective ways of managing their situations and are able to lead basically normal pain free lives...though may experience some symptoms or set backs from time to time. We are all different and our bodies will do different things...wishing you the best.

Canadabum
Canadabum

Postby over10yearsnow » 16 Feb 2016, 22:12

Thank you so much for your time responding to my posts, I really appreciate it.

Yes that is correct. I have had cuts since I was a kid, I'm now 41, and have been dealing with pain from spasm for over 10 years now.

In the past I have been given prescription painkillers and I can't say they helped much, if at all.

Again thank you for your responses.
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather

Postby SurvivorX » 17 Feb 2016, 17:51

dealing with this for 10 years my respects mate. Im two years myself. Question-how many operations did you have so far?
SurvivorX
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby over10yearsnow » 17 Feb 2016, 18:03

Hi SurvivorX, sorry to hear of your 2 years dealing with this, it's not easy!

I haven't had any operations. I've just been using heaps of suppositories and sudocrem with occasional steroid cream from my GP when things get really bad (I'm sure the sudocrem is better in the long term, so try and stick with that).

I'm lucky whereby I've managed to train my body to naturally want a BM every couple of days (sometimes longer) rather than daily. This allows for healing. I've had times where things are not painful, but I'd say 70-80% of my BM are to some degree painful. Then I get bouts, like now, where I'm crippled for a day after a BM. I've nearly been dragged to A&E by my partner a few times where I'm literally rolling around the floor and am sweating because of the pain. Baths sometimes help, sometimes the pain it too much for even that to help it.

I think I have several fissures, but I've currently been dealing with one particular one for probably over a year now and it's just gradually getting worse. It seems to have turned a corner in the last couple of weeks and so now for the first time I am seeking medical help beyond being prescribed a tube of steroid cream once every 18 months.
over10yearsnow
Salt Bather