New Diagnosis and Extremely Lost/Scared

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New Diagnosis and Extremely Lost/Scared

Postby kanegrew » 20 Feb 2016, 15:21

Hello,

I'm newly diagnosed with what my internal doctor thinks is a fissure. I went to him because I was having extreme pains after having bowel movements and there was a lot of blood on the wipes, in the toilet, and on the stool. I've had hemorrhoids in the past, so I thought this was just an extreme flare up, but he is thinking otherwise. He went ahead and referred me to a GI surgeon to have a look, but I'm freaking out a little because the bleeding is persistent after every bowel, the pain is seriously unmanageable, and I've never experienced anything like this...blood coming from there isn't good right? I just need some kind of comfort and don't know where else to turn. I'm a 32 year old single father...well almost single father, just got engaged during this whole fiasco, and I want to make sure I'm not...well...I'm just scared. Support from anyone? Words of advice on what to do...foods to eat, meds to take, things to do and not do?
kanegrew
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: New Diagnosis and Extremely Lost/Scared

Postby Savaici » 20 Feb 2016, 15:42

There is so much on here about anal fissures. Use the search above between FAQ and Portal also look at the Success Stories. Blood is common, don't overly worry about this. See a CRS. Don't overdo fibre. Drink lots of water. Read read read!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Downandout » 20 Feb 2016, 17:21

Sorry for typos and grammar. On my mobile.

Hey there. 43 year old father of a two and a half year old and another due in a month. I'm going through the same exact thing. I'm fighting the anxiety of having painful bowel movements and am really depressed. This just happened to me as well and I've been actively treating this for exactly one week as of right now.

Hang in there. I'm not well but I do feel like I'm turning the corner. I've gone from feeling the end of the world to thinking maybe this might be manageable.

I too had some hemorrhoids and when this happened I immediately went to that Doctor. She prescribed me a cream of diltiazam with lidocaine in it.

Baths and aquaphor with the cream 4 times a day. But you need to immediately start working on making your stools soft.

What's worked for me is yogurt, apples, pears, prunes, prune juice, quinoa, steamed vegetables. And chicken/tuna but small amounts of all it. The more that goes in, the more that comes out.

Also get a magnesium supplement. There's a powder called natural calm that wife just happens to use so I've been using that as well.

I've been told you might not want to take a fiber supplement while you're in the acute phase as there is a tendency to add bulk to your stool. Right you want to focus on getting it soft.

Go see your doctor, get the cream if you can and start bathing. Another thing that I believe has helped me is adding coconut oil to your baths.

It's really terrible and the mental part is every bit as bad as the physical.

I've found this forum about a week ago and have been reading lots while slacking in the baths. It helps knowing there's others out there going through it too.
Downandout
Fibre Addict

Postby kanegrew » 20 Feb 2016, 18:01

Downandout wrote:Sorry for typos and grammar. On my mobile.

Hey there. 43 year old father of a two and a half year old and another due in a month. I'm going through the same exact thing. I'm fighting the anxiety of having painful bowel movements and am really depressed. This just happened to me as well and I've been actively treating this for exactly one week as of right now.

Hang in there. I'm not well but I do feel like I'm turning the corner. I've gone from feeling the end of the world to thinking maybe this might be manageable.

I too had some hemorrhoids and when this happened I immediately went to that Doctor. She prescribed me a cream of diltiazam with lidocaine in it.

Baths and aquaphor with the cream 4 times a day. But you need to immediately start working on making your stools soft.

What's worked for me is yogurt, apples, pears, prunes, prune juice, quinoa, steamed vegetables. And chicken/tuna but small amounts of all it. The more that goes in, the more that comes out.

Also get a magnesium supplement. There's a powder called natural calm that wife just happens to use so I've been using that as well.

I've been told you might not want to take a fiber supplement while you're in the acute phase as there is a tendency to add bulk to your stool. Right you want to focus on getting it soft.

Go see your doctor, get the cream if you can and start bathing. Another thing that I believe has helped me is adding coconut oil to your baths.

It's really terrible and the mental part is every bit as bad as the physical.

I've found this forum about a week ago and have been reading lots while slacking in the baths. It helps knowing there's others out there going through it too.

Thanks for the advice, I've been rummaging through the Internet searching for anything. My doctor prescribed me the same thing, but my insurance doesn't cover "lidocaine" and it's a little too expensive for me right now so I'm working with Proctozone HC. Will this go away or is this something I am going to have to live with the rest of my life?
kanegrew
Fibre Addict

Postby Downandout » 20 Feb 2016, 18:31

I don't know. Reading around this forum indicates it may be a life long thing. But then again maybe the people who heal up don't return since they're good.

This is one of my struggles and something that's been top of my mind and making depressed.

This could be world shattering, even more than it is, for people out there suffering without health insurance. Or who are unable to work while they deal with this life interruption.

My kiddo always wants to play and I can't even chase him around or hold up my if contribution to many of the chores of daily life.

It's really terrible. Today however I'm feeling hopeful. I was able to have a bowel movement that didn't make me want to die. And no Advil today.

This forum is good resource for tools, treatments and reading about others. I'm very thankful for it.

Keep your chin up, do what you can. Keep reading and start figuring out what works for you. Immediately start trying to soften your stool. And keep it lubed.

These are things the man in me would never have imagined I would be typing on the Internet.
Downandout
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 20 Feb 2016, 20:17

Hundreds of users never ever return. Most on here heal and are never heard of again. Take heart. Read the posts that speak of healing.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby kanegrew » 23 Feb 2016, 09:33

Downandout:

I went to the CRS yesterday and found that the fissure is pretty bad. He didn't want to automatically jump into surgery because, "I'd be in surgery all day every day if I jumped into surgery for everyone that came in with a fissure." Instead he prescribed me a compound of lido/nifed jelly (no idea what nifed is but lido is lidocaine which has helped some), told me to get Metamucil and Colace, then gave me a list of high fiber foods to start eating that won't hurt coming out. He also told me to do sitz baths two times a day...but I do them as needed. I wanted to tell you also something I tried out out of desperate times...coconut oil in the sitz bath. I put two spoonfuls of coconut oil in the bath while it was hot and immediately sat in it after BM. Pain was still there a little, but wow...it was not as bad as it had been the past couple weeks. Doctor also said that if nothing improves within three weeks he wants to discuss surgery. Internal lateral sphincterotomy? Cutting another slit on my bum?!
kanegrew
Fibre Addict

Postby Downandout » 23 Feb 2016, 12:08

That's good. Yes you'll want to get your stools as soft as possible. Canadabum, one of the moderators on here told me that and it's been immensely helpful. In week two of doing the same treatments as you. Cream, baths and diet. What I've also been doing is using aquaphor 4 times a day along with the jelly. And yes! Coconut oil in the baths has been very helpful.

Anyways, stick with it. I'm on day two of painless BMs. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. This is a terrible condition. For me it's been emotionally devastating. Hang in there and don't let up on the treatments.
Downandout
Fibre Addict

Postby kanegrew » 23 Feb 2016, 16:15

Day two?! That's great!! Stools are definitely getting softer and BMs are definitely a lot less painful, but I'm still dealing with the aftermaths of BM. Still seeing blood, but it really helps knowing and reading from others that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I guess this is a major wake up call for me...I really need to make a lifestyle change because I'm not sure I can do this forever.

When is stool too soft? Like too close to diarrhea? Should it be running out like mud or does there need to be form to it like chunks? I'm so confused about this part...
kanegrew
Fibre Addict

Postby Downandout » 23 Feb 2016, 16:29

kanegrew wrote:Day two?! That's great!! Stools are definitely getting softer and BMs are definitely a lot less painful, but I'm still dealing with the aftermaths of BM. Still seeing blood, but it really helps knowing and reading from others that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I guess this is a major wake up call for me...I really need to make a lifestyle change because I'm not sure I can do this forever.

When is stool too soft? Like too close to diarrhea? Should it be running out like mud or does there need to be form to it like chunks? I'm so confused about this part...

Pretty sure you want to avoid diarrhea. Also another thing I;ve learned on these forums is that FIFO. (First in, First Out). For me, when I wake and it's time to eat, I eat soft foods. Basically, I've only been eating yogurt. Then pears, apples. For lunch it's quinoa or brown rice with steamed veggies and tuna on the side or chicken. I didn;t have a terrible diet previously but I've really brought my diet down to the basics. With lots of water. Oh - a magnesium supplement power. I use one called Natural Calm. It's very important and helps with BMs.

For me when I was still in the very acute phase it was hard to get the BM moving. By putting in soft food first and all day, then the BMs become soft. Think soft serve ice cream. I think that's what you want to shoot for.

Good luck!
Downandout
Fibre Addict