How do I know if the fissure is healing/healed???

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How do I know if the fissure is healing/healed???

Postby needhelp » 01 Mar 2016, 17:09

I finally have my diet down where I have perfect stool. I'm eating the exact same thing everyday, with 3 stool softeners in the morning and miralax at night. My bowel movements are exactly the same everyday, extremely soft and very small around. No sitting. I'm either standing or laying down. And I haven't had any pain or bleeding in about a week.

My question is, how do I know if the the fissure is healing or when it has healed?

On a side note, I also have an anal yeast infection which has just added a whole new level of issues to this. So I am currently not using ANYTHING on the area, since I have to keep it as dry as possible. My last exam was 9 days ago (to diagnose the yeast infection) and he said the fissure was still there. So I know as of 9 days ago my fissure definitely wasn't healed. But here I am 9 days later, and I'm scared to change anything that I'm currently doing. I don't know if this has been enough time for healing or not. I certainly don't want to undo any healing. Anyone have any thoughts?
needhelp
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: How do I know if the fissure is healing/healed???

Postby brokenbottom » 01 Mar 2016, 17:22

If I hadn't had any pain or blood for a week I'd be celebrating! I can't imagine what more evidence you need really!
I'd be really interested to know what you're eating actually. I'm doing my best to eat the right things but then sometimes I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Have had pain every day pretty much for five months now...
Suffered acute AFs since about 2010
2015 Chronic AF diagnosed
18/2/16 Botox (unsuccessful)
12/4/16 Lateral anal sphincterotomy and removal of polyp and two tags
brokenbottom
VIP

Topics: 3

Postby needhelp » 01 Mar 2016, 17:58

I'm eating as little as possible first of all. Here is my exact diet. I've been eating this and only this for at least 2 weeks now. It's not very nutritious, but it is keeping my stools perfect which is all I care about right now.

White potatoes (not red, not russet, white) sometimes I will cook them with some onion and a little bell pepper
Brown Rice Pasta (only ingredient is brown rice) I add quite a bit of butter, and a tiny bit of tomato sauce and salt.
1 apple per day
A small serving of chicken

Every morning I take 3 Dulcolax, and every evening I take 1 dose of Miralax. My stool is extremely soft and about the size around of my finger.

I should also note that I have been squatting for bowel movements for about a month, NOT sitting on the toilet. This made a HUGE difference. Easiest way to do this is to get 4 cement cinder blocks from home depot. stack two on each side of the toilet, and you basically have a squatty potty. Long term, I'm planning to find someone to build me this: http://www.lillipad.co.nz/diy_plans/

I never push. It's either ready to come out with pretty much no effort or its not and I wait till I can poop effortlessly. I sit in the bath immediately after every bowel movement.

And I don't sit. Like ever. I'm either standing or laying down.

I am celebrating for sure, but I've also heard a lot of people say they retear, and so I'm scarred to change anything I'm currently doing. I'm also dealing with this yeast infection, which has been just terrible.

I hope this helps. I know everybody digests differently, but maybe this would work for you. I would definitely give it a few days before judging whether or not your stool changes.
needhelp
Fibre Addict

Postby needhelp » 01 Mar 2016, 18:02

Oh, I'm also drinking 100 ounces of water per day.
needhelp
Fibre Addict

Postby brokenbottom » 01 Mar 2016, 18:24

Thanks so much for that Needhelp. Gosh - you're not eating much at all are you! But if it stops the pain it's worth it. I've been so busy thinking what I should eat I'm probably eating too much. Don't think I can manage as little as you're having but I might try to cut down a bit. Wouldn't do me any harm!

How do you manage not to sit down though? That's the hardest thing for me - so many situations, especially working in a office, that makes it really embarrassing not to sit down.

Thanks for all the pointers. Really hope that you are healed and that you can get that yeast infection sorted soon. Have you tried yogurt? It's really helpful for thrush.
brokenbottom
VIP

Postby needhelp » 01 Mar 2016, 18:36

Yea if working in an office that would be difficult. I work from home, and just ordered this: https://www.autonomous.ai/desk
I'm supposed to get it on Friday. It gets rave reviews, and is super affordable for a sit to stand desk. I'm a photographer, and thankfully January, February is our slow time of year, so I haven't been doing much work. But I'm about to not have an option, so I knew I had to figure out someway to work at my desk without sitting.

I've decided being hungry is better than having a fissure :) I know it's not much, but with all the water, and just spacing it out, it's working for me at least. I did what you did at first, I had a list of ALL these super fibrous foods to eat, and I was eating eating eating. I think that made it worse. I was going more often, and my stool was bulky from the fiber. This diet has just the right amount of fiber without going overboard. Also, if I have a day where I go more than twice and feel my stool getting too lose (like diarrhea) I eat a banana and some white rice and applesauce to slow things down a little bit, so far that has worked.
needhelp
Fibre Addict

Postby needhelp » 01 Mar 2016, 18:37

BTW, it says they aren't shipping until March 30th, I ordered mine on Friday and it shipped today.
needhelp
Fibre Addict

Postby needhelp » 01 Mar 2016, 18:39

If you decided to do something like this, you could totally play it off as a posture, standing is more healthy than sitting thing, since that is what is making these desks so popular right now. Wouldn't even have to mention the fissure :)
needhelp
Fibre Addict

Postby brokenbottom » 01 Mar 2016, 19:00

Thank you SO much! So many good ideas. Will definitely cut down what I'm eating and see if that helps. You're right - being hungry is nothing compared with the fissure.
Good luck and thanks again.
brokenbottom
VIP

Postby efr97 » 13 Mar 2016, 05:07

Brokenbottom: With regard to diet, I found that sticking to vegetarian food and white fish is the best. Think potatoes, beans, chick peas, broccoli, carrots, lentils etc. Combined with a stool softener (30ml lactulose/day) and plenty of water before and after meals you should get the perfect stools.
efr97
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10