New in town

Ouch...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New in town

Postby Thankful » 03 Mar 2016, 19:18

I've been following this forum since I was diagnosed with an AF two weeks ago. I was misdiagnosed intitially with a thrombosed hemorrhoid, 3 weeks before that. A big "thank you" to the person who created this forum, as well as all who've contributed.

I was a vegetarian prior to this event but ate a lot of bread and cheese. I've cut out both completely from my diet and have found that this helps. It seems that if I deviate even slightly in my water intake (less) or test with some pita bread or a cracker, I'm back to square 2. I'm not saying square 1 because (knock on wood) I haven't bled in over a week. It does not hurt so much during the bowel movement, but it feels like I need to put more effort in to pushing it out--almost as if my anal canal has gotten smaller. So, pushing...just what we're not supposed to do, right? I'm now wondering if I've been straining my whole life, but didn't realize it, or at least see the harm in it. The pain comes afterward, and can go on all day. Sometimes it radiates into my groin. The only thing that seems to help is walking and deep breathing. I catch myself holding my breath, as we often do in pain, and remind myself to breeeaathe.

My "regimen" includes coconut oil inside (orally) and out, Calmol 4 suppositories after the morning go, Epsom salt baths, baby wipes, coconut water, increase in probiotics, lentil soup almost daily, papaya, prunes or the juice, a stool softener here and there (I hate medicine, am very sensitive to the effects).

I had never heard of an AF until this episode. You never look at food the same way again, do you? I've found myself walking past the chip or cheese aisle and saying "I love you, mama wants to come back"lol
However, I can't help but think that this is probably the healthiest diet for us.

Any suggestions you have are of course welcome. Peace to all.
Thankful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: New in town

Postby Canadabum » 08 Mar 2016, 17:41

Thankful -- welcome!! You have found a great place to get info and share experiences.

If you are early in your AF experience you should go and get yourself some fissure cream like nifedipine, diltiazem or nitroglycerin. These creams are applied around the anus 2-3x a day and help reduce the resting pressure of the internal anal sphincter and help the healing process.

Other things to do:

-take ibuprofen before a BM
-use heat when you sit (heating pads)
-take baths / sitz baths in warm water to clean the area after BM and to help with blood flow to the area
-make sure you are eating a balanced diet that includes soluble and insoluble fibre
-drink lots of water
-probiotics also helped me...in fact, i make my own kombucha now as a result!

Sounds like you are already doing lots of great stuff to help yourself -- keep it up and report back. Let us know how you are doing.

Best,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Thankful » 08 Mar 2016, 19:00

Thanks for the warm welcome, Canadabum. I have a prescription for nifedipine from my C &R doc, but am afraid to use it because I have borderline low BP :(. I was considering trying a collagen gel instead. In theory it should help. Do you know anyone who has tried this?
Thankful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Canadabum » 08 Mar 2016, 20:13

I've never heard of collagen gel being used or doing much for an af. You should seek medical advice regarding nifedipine and you low bp. If your doc suggests it is ok to use I would highly recommend that route. In the meantime keep the area warm and take a bunch of baths each day to promote blood flow.
Canadabum

Topics: 19