Is my anal fissure on the mend?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Is my anal fissure on the mend?

Postby Sadie22 » 20 Mar 2016, 04:12

Hi everyone, for the last couple of months I have been having awful trouble going to the toilet. I have suffered slightly with hemerrhoids since having my daughter 5 years ago, but they were never a big deal, but some time in the last couple of months I must have got an anal fissure and it has been like torture going to the toilet.

I stupidly sometimes had the habit of holding it in when I needed a bm, but then I almost had to start holding it in as I could hardly face going to the toilet and I also tried to wait for the house to be empty as the smell was so bad (from holding it in)
I was also pretty noisy as sometimes I was trying to do breathing excercises like I was giving birth to try and help me go and I didnt want people to hear me.

I decided to try and cure myself and drinking lots of orange juice helped for a while, drinking lots of water didnt help, vaselining my behind helped a little, but not really a long term solution.
I bought some healing suppositories but they were very uncomfortable and actually seemed to make me lose control of my bowels.

I am now relying on dulcoease stool softeners and I would say they have taken about 70-80% of the initial pain away in pooing (that glassy, cutting feeling) but since taking them I have very painful hemerrhoids after pooing.
This is weird because I wasnt getting them before when I was pooing enormous hard glass shard bm's.

I have ordered Preparation H to stop the hemerrhoid pain and hopefully that will really help. I am also trying to drink prune juice because the one day I didnt poo while using the dulcoease seemed to set me back in terms of the anal fissure. I feel I am on the right track and I have also stopped holding it in where possible which is maybe the most important thing. Any advice would be appreciated
Sadie22
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Is my anal fissure on the mend?

Postby Canadabum » 23 Mar 2016, 15:57

Sadie22 -- Welcome to the forum!!

It sounds like you are dealing with multiple issues -- fissure and hemmies.

One of the key ingredients to dealing with these issues is not straining on the toilet and not causing yourself to need to strain. To that end I would encourage you to go when your body wants to go...that is the most natural time that your muscles are all fired up and wanting to move things along. Holding it in is potentially causing you to strain a bit...try to avoid.

You are doing the right thing by drinking more liquids -- the idea is to keep the stool soft. The dulcoease also is a factor for you in keeping stuff soft -- you may want to also consider making sure you are eating well with enough soluble and insoluble fibre...again, helps keep it soft and reduces need to strain.

The other thing that is helpful for fissures is to use a fissure cream - like nifedipine or diltiazem. You should consult with your DR. about getting a script as soon as you can and start using it a few times a day. Other strategies include applying heat as much as you can to stimulate blood flow to the area (which helps in healing) and finally taking warm baths or sitz baths after each bm to keep it clean and to stimulate blood flow.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Sadie22 » 27 Mar 2016, 06:35

Hi Canadabum, thanks so much for your kind reply. I dont think I strain to poo but definately on many occassions I strained to keep it in...sometimes through fear of the pain and sometimes when it was inconvenient to go to the toilet.

I feel like I am having a bit of a setback...still taking Dulcoease and lots of water but now only having a bowel movement every two days and although the poo is soft it still causes pain.
The other day only small amounts came out and caused alot of pain and the day after I had a big bowel movement which was painful (couldnt see blood), strangely hemerroids are much better.

I am really happy that I am not holding it in anymore (where possible) but I feel I must go everyday otherwise things start getting painful.
I ordered a fiber drink from the uk called fybogel...but easter means it wont be delivered for a few days.. I think I will unfortunately have a painful bm before then.
If I am honest I cant imagine going to the doctor about it...especially since its getting slightly better...I think I need to adjust my diet, drink more water and be more careful ...any more advice would be really appreciated
Sadie22
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Canadabum » 27 Mar 2016, 07:00

Sounds like you are doing good things to help yourself along. Personally I would go to a dr because these things are very hard to self diagnose...cause we often can't see what's going on down there! The fissure cream is really helpful in the healing process and I would encourage you to get some and use it.
Good luck and keep up the good work of drinking and eating well.
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19