Doctor gave me Rx without even telling me

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Doctor gave me Rx without even telling me

Postby SoDoneWithThis » 26 Mar 2016, 14:51

So I've had what I think is a fissure for probably two years, but I've never had it actually diagnosed. The pain is manageable with diet and Miralax, but I'm getting tired of it so I finally talked with my GP about it. She referred me to a GI doc who suggested a colonoscopy. Colonoscopy didn't find anything, so GI doc just said "call me in two weeks if you're still having trouble" and then ran away to do his next colonoscopy. This was immediately after the colonoscopy which was done under anaesthetic and I was still pretty out of it, so I didn't have a chance to discuss anything with him besides this brief one-sided conversation.

Anyway, two weeks is about up so I sent his office a message saying that yes I was still having pain and would like to be referred to a CRS. I was looking at my online medical record thing and it turns out GI doc prescribed me nitroglycerin 0.4% the day of my colonoscopy. He not only DID NOT MENTION THIS AT ALL to me, he didn't even mention that he saw a fissure. I have no idea where the prescription was even sent. I'm pretty upset about this. Is this worth raising a fuss about? I'm not good at confronting people but I think this is pretty unacceptable.
SoDoneWithThis

Topics: 1

Re: Doctor gave me Rx without even telling me

Postby Savaici » 27 Mar 2016, 04:53

:wel: to the Forum.

As you did not even get a notification from the pharmacy to pick up the prescription, it does sound to me as if it was never put through by the doctor's staff.

I would say something, in writing, as next time could be a prescription for a life-saving drug that goes amiss. If they don't reply, write to the hospital administrator.

Also, from experience, I always ask that I get a copy of what they did (doctor's notes) when the surgery, etc. is over, before I go home, so that I know for myself exactly what they've done, ordered, etc.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: Doctor gave me Rx without even telling me

Postby SoDoneWithThis » 27 Mar 2016, 21:08

Thanks for the welcome! Even just reading the threads on this forum has helped me so much. I am so glad this community exists.

And I think you're right, this kind of error could really hurt someone in another situation. I will definitely be contacting the hospital about it.
SoDoneWithThis

Topics: 1