LIS & Pile Removal on NHS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS & Pile Removal on NHS

Postby D4V3 » 02 Mar 2016, 06:34

Well its the day after my LIS and Pile removal! I am currently sitting watching TV with my male sanitary towel in my boxers.

Yesterday:

Arrived at hospital, got checked in and in to my gown. Was informed that I would be third on the list meaning around 11am.
Had my wait in a communal room, had a chat with some guys having various other surgeries.
Got a quick chat with my surgeon and went over his game plan, very brief but to the point.

Surgical porter came and collected me and i met my sleep doctors nurse who chatted to me about what was going to happen next and where ill be when i woke up. Got wheeled to the prep room where i got my drip put in as well as being hooked up to the monitoring kit. They then put me to sleep which was really most uncomfortable part haha.

I woke up in recovery a bit dozy but not in any pain, i spent 15 minutes there and was then wheeled back to the room with everyone else.
I slept for 30 minutes more then had some toast and tea. Felt great still being drugged up.
Spent another 6 hours at hospital trying to recover from the morphine. I seemed to get worse and worse in bed as it wore off. I found walking difficult until 6pm when I managed a pee and left for home.
I had more toast and water and some lactulose that night and went to sleep with a fresh dressing.
I have had a shower this morning and had no considerable pain from the wound yet, only taken paracetamol so far.
I'm about a 2/10 on discomfort, mainly i think its the sponge still in my bum.
I have let out plenty silent farts without pain, and am still draining on to my dressing which normal.

Like everyone I am nervous about my first poop, but won't go until i really feel the need to go!
Anyway I will update as things progress and hope someone else benefits from this!

This surgery was done on the NHS by a general surgeon, Im a 26 year old guy, no way i could afford private care. I know people say try and get the best CRS you can, for some people its just not feasible and should definitely not discourage you from getting LIS or anything else. General surgeons are more than capable of performing these colorectal procedures effectively.

Thanks!! I would never have considered this if I didn't have this forum to read experiences from!

Dave
D4V3
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: LIS & Pile Removal on NHS

Postby Manitourose » 02 Mar 2016, 11:51

Dave,

Thanks so much for giving such a great update about your experience. It will no doubt help others get a sense of what happens before and after surgery. So glad to hear you aren't feeling too much discomfort.
Hang in there with that first BM. Usually, it is not as bad as expected and the worry over it feels worse. It's do-able.
Have they instructed you to take a bath or sitz bath? That always seemed to help the muscles and soothe the experience after the BM for me. I had a fistulotomy.

Hope to hear how you are doing!
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Postby D4V3 » 02 Mar 2016, 13:26

Hey thanks for your comment!

Yeah they said either a bath or sitz bath is fine for my recovery. I usually get in to a normal bath and lie back!

I have just had a nice relaxing bath and found that my little sponge had popped out so thats one less thing to think about!

I think tomorrow will be the poo day, I have had a fair bit of wind today.
D4V3
Fibre Addict

Postby D4V3 » 03 Mar 2016, 11:50

Well as I though today was the day the first poop after surgery arrived.

It was nice and soft in consistency but stung at the incision site. About a 4/10 on the pain scale.

Hopped in to the bath to ease things up and clean, now sitting in front of the tv having taken some regular pain killers.

Definitely not the same type of pain as before, but still sore.

I imagine for the next week or so I will have pain from the incision, so I can't really speculate until that is gone.

Cheers x
D4V3
Fibre Addict

Postby Manitourose » 03 Mar 2016, 12:32

Good to get that 1st one out of the way! :)
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Postby D4V3 » 12 Mar 2016, 08:40

Well it is now day 11 after my surgery!

The differences I have noticed so far:
My stools are now forming properly and always fully evacuate.
I don't get a large amount of trapped wind.
I don't have any spasms whilst doing a poop.

Issues I have now:
I still obviously have some stinging from the incision site after a poop.
I am experiencing the occasional stabbing pain from the site, very sharp and short.
The pain isn't the same as the fissure pain but it is still about a 4.
I am experiencing leakage most of the day, i believe it is mucous. (Not a huge amount)

I am unsure how long the healing period will be for the incision site, but we will just see i suppose.
I am still hopeful that the surgery has worked as I don't feel the spasms happening, but the pain from the incision is just distracting me from that progress.

Hope everyone is doing well. x
D4V3
Fibre Addict

Postby Hopeful1 » 02 Apr 2016, 11:46

Hi D4V3,

How is your recovery going? I had LIS about 2 weeks after you so am wondering what the next 2 weeks might hold in store for me!
Haemorrhoids: for about 8 years - lived with it
Rubber Band Ligation: Spring 2015
Anal Skin Tag Removal: Summer 2015 (missed sentinel pile)
Fissure diagnosed: Aug/Sep 2015
GTN unsuccessful
LIS: 17 March 2016
Hopeful1
Salt Bather

Postby D4V3 » 02 Apr 2016, 12:50

Hey! Well in the 3rd week I had stomach flu so I was passing water 6 times a day which did me no favours!

But now at the start of week 5 I have no spasms at all, I have no need for any pain killers!
I am in very slight discomfort for a few minutes after a movement but after that it is almost back to normal for me!

I glad you went for surgery and hope everything ends up well!
My advice from what I've been doing would be stick to wet wipes, so much better for comfort and cleanliness! Obviously baths when you can!

Get back in to a routine as soon as you feel ready as i found it just took my mind off everything and within the space of week (3-4) pain level went from a 4 to a 1.

Thanks for reading hopeful1!
D4V3
Fibre Addict

Postby Hopeful1 » 02 Apr 2016, 13:09

Hi, glad to hear you're still healing up! Sorry about your flu symptoms, it's never fun but especially unwanted at this time!

It's been 16 days for me now, the swelling's gone down nicely but it's still sore at times, and I'm on the wet wipes don't worry ;) a Sitz Bath afterwards soothes any pain/burning from the incision.

I'm still getting uncomfortableness from my fissure but I'm hopeful that I'm seeing slow movement in the right direction there. Think I'm going to be in for the long haul though! None of that "healed in 2 weeks" for me!

Are you still getting any discharge or leakage? Mine *seems* to have abated these last few days...I was very worried it would stick around...

Good luck for the coming weeks and months. I'm pencilling 2 months in as my desired "healed by" date :rofl:
Haemorrhoids: for about 8 years - lived with it
Rubber Band Ligation: Spring 2015
Anal Skin Tag Removal: Summer 2015 (missed sentinel pile)
Fissure diagnosed: Aug/Sep 2015
GTN unsuccessful
LIS: 17 March 2016
Hopeful1
Salt Bather

Postby D4V3 » 02 Apr 2016, 13:19

Yeah I still get a little discharge for about 15 mins after a movement, very minimal though! Steadily becoming less!

Haha yeah I have a check up at the 2 month mark so I'm also aiming for that!

Our healing process is pretty similar, no set backs I reckon 2 months is realistic.
D4V3
Fibre Addict