Post Surgery and New Here

My story, thanks for existing

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Post Surgery and New Here

Postby ButtesNWholes » 27 Apr 2016, 00:34

After a long time with infected abscess and seeing at least 5 doctors (one in the ER when pain got really bad) I was finally diagnosed by a colorectal surgeon with perianal fistula. Yay...

Thankfully, mine has been superficial and not related to anything else, but I'd still enjoy complaining here if that's okay. ;)

Many doctors made butt jokes and when I saw a neurologist recently I almost took my pants off, so there's that part of this whole experience.

I decided to search for support after surgery (it's only been five days :/ ) because I was feeling down, hungry for food I can't eat, tired of bathing after going to the bathroom, and wanting to feel useful.

Also my painkillers finally ran out and I realized I slept about 60 hours in four days and had convinced myself while playing a tile matching game that I was the next John Nash. I was just tripping on my iPad.

I've been on Duceolax, Colace, milk of magnesia, Ibuprofen, and Percoset. After some stoppage and a painful second BM I haven't been able to stop, so I'm switching to just stool softeners instead of laxatives as well because WOW.

Eating peas, creamy soups, Mac and cheese, peaches, and drinking water, Capri Sun, cranberry juice, and some cola even though I know I shouldn't. My husband got me Noodles & Company today (buttered noodles with shrimp) and it was unbelievable.

Main Question: How do you pass the time???

I'm tired of watching stuff and playing mindless games. I can't even sit at the computer to play something more interesting (Guild Wars 2, League of Legends, among others). Maybe I can get my old consoles hooked up.

A little about me: I'm 29, female, married, from Chicago, IL living in Utah. I am a university tenure track professor in a technical field. No kids, but a shih tzu, two cats, guppies, and three Guinea pigs. One of my cats and puppy have not left my side. The Guinea pigs are the puppy's pets, he loves to lick them and nuzzle them.

One other issue... Somehow the underside of my tongue got burned and I only noticed after painkillers wore off. What is up with that? Come on, the food has to hurt going down as well as coming out? Not cool. Using Tanac acid for that but it stings horribly.

Bonus: When I woke up I apparently told the nurse I needed to get tenure and then asked the tech if she would like to see my butt.

Anyway, that's part of my story. I am sorry that this has been a "life changing" event but am glad to not be alone. Hearing how long it takes to heal makes me sad... I think I should be hopefully able to sit by next fall semester in August, right? Right??
Diagnosed April 2016
Fistulotomy April 2016

I just want to be able to eat a pizza again. Or a steak.
ButtesNWholes

Topics: 1

Re: Post Surgery and New Here

Postby Canadabum » 27 Apr 2016, 16:24

Glad that you were able to treat your condition...I hope your recovery goes smoothly and quickly.

As for how to occupy yourself....i guess that is up to you and what you like to do / and also dictated by any general discomfort or physical limitations during recovery. Just make sure you take it easy and let your body heal.

Good luck - Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19