New here - Delurking after surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here - Delurking after surgery

Postby april_fools » 09 Apr 2019, 12:10

About a week ago I had a fissurectomy, Botox and sentinel pile removal. I will share more about that experience in a separate thread.

Like many, I was misdiagnosed with hemorrhoids. Of course, treatment didn't work, so I finally was referred to a CRS and received a proper diagnosis. I had been having pain, ranging from a burning sensation for about an hour to infrequent stabby pains that lasted 6+ hours for several months. My CRS suggested starting conservatively with a high-fiber diet, lots of water, warm baths and diltiazem. I tried that for over two months, but the fissure just wasn't improving. The surgeon felt that the pile was inhibiting the healing of the fissure and suggested removal of the sentinel pile in addition to Botox, though she couldn't guarantee that this would solve the problem.

I can relate to all of you who experience anxiety. Though I thankfully didn't have severe pain often, I was getting distracted at work and I was hesitant to make social plans. I was really frightened of having surgery, but I'm glad I did. I'm hopeful it will help to finally heal this thing.

Thank you for all of you who have shared your experience on this board. I've been reading for several weeks.
april_fools

Topics: 1

Re: New here - Delurking after surgery

Postby Amber27 » 10 Apr 2019, 09:36

Hi there! How are you feeling now? What has your recovery been like? Our situations do sound similar. I'm still nervous at 2 days post-op, especially bc I did not have LIS or Botox to help heal the fissure. My crs didn't offer botox and said she wouldn't do LIS at the same time as a fistulotomy. So now the waiting game.
I hope you are doing well!
Amber27

Postby april_fools » 12 Apr 2019, 13:33

I'm doing pretty well. I did not have the pain I expected, some soreness and burning after each BM that subsides after I clean off and especially after a tub soak. There is also some spasming, but it isn't nearly as intense or as long-lasting as it used to be. It's hard to say why. It could be the Botox, but I've been managing pain with Ibuprfen and Gabapentin for the nerve pain. I started tapering down the Gabapentin last night, so we'll see how it goes. I've heard so many varying opinions and experiences about the effectiveness of Botox--my niece had to have three rounds before her fissure healed, so it's not a sure thing.

My CRS also did not want to jump straight to the LIS. She felt that cleaning up the fissure as well as the sentinel pile would aid in healing. I went for a follow-up appointment yesterday, and she said it does look like it's healing (yay!) but it is very deep, so it will take time.

They say the first three days are the worst, and you are past that, so hopefully, you are doing well. I know how hard it is to not be anxious and to hurt and have to carry on. It's good to know that you are not alone.
april_fools

Postby Fissurefrustration » 13 Apr 2019, 09:08

Glad you sound to be healing well :)

ff
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56