Scar tissue - what exactly does it feel like?

wonder if it's ripping or just irritated

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Scar tissue - what exactly does it feel like?

Postby efr97 » 05 Jun 2016, 06:03

I guess the title says it all, how does scar tissue feel like, and does it feel different from re-tearing the fissure?

The reason why I'm asking, is that my fissure has improved a lot the last 6 months (I've had it for a year), and I've been very vigilant about my diet and ensuring soft bm. I can't remember the last time I had a big hard one.

But still, I get symptoms, maybe not as severe as in the beginning, but it seems to have flattened out to a level where every so I often i get stinging or burning sensations, and also what I can only describe as a sort of "tightness" or tenderness. Often I get dull pain after BM (in the morning), even if it's soft, and sometimes in the afternoon for some reason. Sitting for long periods gives me this feeling of tightness.

Is this scar tissue? Ir is it small tears in the fissure? Or is it simply me being over sensitive?

I have been considering self-dilation as some people here advocate, but want to be absolutely sure that there isn't a risk of re-tearing. If this sounds like scar tissue, how long to wait until I can start this without too much risk?
efr97
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: Scar tissue - what exactly does it feel like?

Postby Canadabum » 07 Jun 2016, 15:41

efr -- i am no doc. and not a crs....but from what you describe it does sound like scar tissue. That tissue is not as elastic as our original tissue and can result in pinching, tight and uncomfortable feelings as you describe.

In terms of when you can start to dilate - you will need to visit your crs and have them take a look and give you advice...without seeing the tissue it would be pretty hard for anyone to give definitive advice.

Best - CB
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby efr97 » 12 Jun 2016, 16:32

Just a thought: There are a lot of creams and ointments that are supposed to work on scars. Is this something that people use "down there" too? In which case, what are they called?
efr97
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Postby Fissurefrustration » 15 Jun 2016, 03:20

I'm in the same boat as you, my scar tissue is all that's left causing me issues daily as it just doesn't stretch.

I've tried manual dilation but you need to be so careful it's easy to rip open old tissue again.

As for creams I use aloe Vera cream which helps but not sure if it will dissipate the scar, others say vitamin e is good for scar tissue but what helps some won't work for all.

Good luck on healing it sounds like your getting there!

Ff
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion