Few questions about surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Few questions about surgery

Postby Guest » 06 Mar 2007, 18:55

I've tried to find as much research as possible but couldn't exactly find answers on a few things. If I do have this done, do I have to have a pre-op physical, if so what does it entail?? tests, etc. When they put you out are you on your stomach or back or what? Is it embarrassing? (I get very humilated having to drop my pants and get in the jackknife) Do they give you pain meds to take after and does it control the pain well? How much time did you need to take off from work? I am sorry if these are dumb questions but I am very apprehensive and thinking of requesting a sedative the day of is this possible? Image
Thanks!
Noelle

Re: Few questions about surgery

Postby small_flower » 06 Mar 2007, 20:07

Hi Noelle,
I just had the surgery on the 15th of february, so I can help you out.
Yes, you are required to have a pre-op physical, but its nothing special. They listen to your heart and lungs, push on your stomach a bit, and ask you if you are allergic to anything. It was like a 20 minute in and out procedure. Its basically protocol.
When they put me out, I was on my stomach, but they had me get on the table first, and then they covered me with a sheet, so when i had to drop my pants, my butt wasnt hanging out in mid air. Its really not so bad :)
I wasn't humiliated because I had the sheet covering my bum. They put me out before they took it off.
Yes, they will offer you pain meds after the surgery, and believe me, take them or your drive home will not be all that pleasant. You may feel no pain when you wake up because they usually use a local anesthetic but, once that wears off, your going to be sore, so make sure that you take any pain meds they offer you.
I took off a full week, and once that was up, i felt about 70% better. After 9 days or so, I was feeling like my old self for the most part. I think for the most part, around a week and a half is what I needed to feel like my old self.
Dont worry, your questions arent stupid, these things are normal concerns and if you have any other questions, I would be more than happy to answer or give you my experiences. There are quite a few people who have had the surgery and I cant say that we've had an unhappy customer on the board yet.
good luck,
kate Image
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Deleted User 5 » 07 Mar 2007, 11:07

do I have to have a pre-op physical, if so what does it entail??
It may all depend on your hospital. I had to do pre-op, which involved vital signs, blood drawn for lab work, EKG ...hmmm, am I forgetting anything...
When they put you out are you on your stomach or back or what? Is it embarrassing?
As far as I could tell, I was knocked out before they wheeled me into the actual OR, so whatever position they put me in, they probably did it themselves.
Do they give you pain meds to take after and does it control the pain well? How much time did you need to take off from work?
I was given a strong series of pain meds, from dilaudad to percocet to morphine, and mepargan at home.
The pain was worst right after the surgery, but as soon as I got the meds, I was OK, I never had anymore really bad pain except for a runny BM that caused burning at home.
I was off work 1 1/2 weeks. Should have waited two weeks.
Feel free to ask ANY questions so you'll have a very good idea what you're up against!
Kim
Deleted User 5

thanks

Postby Guest » 07 Mar 2007, 16:46

Thanks for the advice I really can't take off more than a few days of work so this is not going to be easy I guess.

Postby happyass » 08 Mar 2007, 19:53

Noelle,
get your doctor to write you up a work excuse for healing. to not be able to return to work for at least 1 week and then if you need to, he can extend that depending on how you are feeling.
i can't stand to see that you can't take the time you NEED to heal appropriately from work. if anyone at work, like your boss or HR or the VP needed to have ASS work, and they were in pain, you'd bet your ASS they would not be at work in 3 days or less......
i hate that and when work doesn't provide you with COMP time for lots of hours put in over the norm and when you need it.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74